Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
Susaye added so much to that final album, i really don’t think it would have sounded nearly so good without her. I consider “Closer Together” one of the finest new Supremes recordings ever. As regards vocal blending as a group, Cindy’s voice probably worked better in live performances.

agreed - the entire MS&S album is spectacular. the productions are just excellent as are the vocals. each lady contributes greatly to the overall and everyone shines

as we're said many times, it's a shame there wasn't a follow up album

and it's a shame that more effort wasn't made to bring the studio magic to the stage. of course we're judging this via a slew of multi-generation bootlegs so who knows really just how they sounded live. there's surely some distortion on these ancient and worn tapes and digitized vhs clips. still that excuse can only go so far

typically the 3 mics were way off in terms of their levels. mary's is WAY too loud and Scherrie's is usually too low. the pace is too fast and the ad libs get out of control

I've listened to their live LYG clips a bunch. in the studio version, there's an echo effect with they sing Let Yourself Goooooooo. Live, they can't really replicate this so i guess that's why they all would ad lib Go, Go, Go Go! but it would have frankly just been better to skip that. Also for the live versions they typically did much of the choreography which just left them breathless. I do like a lot of their choreography from this era but maybe just for the lip synced versions