[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jim aka jtigre99 View Post
    I think I may have heard Nathan Jones on the radio a few times, but never did hear it on television[[must have missed the Tonight Show). After Up the Ladder, Everybody and Stoned Love were on television a decent amount it was unusual not to hear their latest song promoted on tv. It may not have sounded the same as the excellent recording but I am sure they would have worked it out. I didn't hear Touch at all and the next song promoted on television was Your Wonderful sweet, Sweet Love which they did on Flip wilson and Sonny & Cher. That only hit #69 and the previous songs Floy Joy and Automatically Sunshine did better with no exposure [[#16 & #37). I wonder if the lack of televison exposure helped to slow down since they were everywhere in 1970 and by 1971 not promoting their singles. It seemed by the time they rebounded in 1972-3 with TV appearances for their singles that they had fallen out of favor and it was too late to keep the momentum going. I Guess I'll Miss The man was on a bit but stalled at #85, Bad weather was also on tv but did even worse at #87. I think had they had the exposure on tv, Nathan Jones would have hit higher than #16. Of course, that was still higher than some of the DRATS chartings. Still, it seems if the group had still been somewhat on air more in 1971 that the momentum would have stayed a bit better. I never heard Floy Joy on the radio but did hear Automatically Sunshine. In fact, I won the Floy Joy LP off of a local radio station and I overheard the DJ[[not on air but on the phone) say what? we are giving that away? But, we've played that one! this show usually gave away new or unknown artists and not popular things. i was a teen and I even knew something was up at the time. It seemed once 1971 hit, the Supremes were less on the radio and on the air. Nathan Jones should have been at least top 10.
    You never heard "Floy Joy" on the radio? Where were you living? It was played a lot on Pop and Soul stations in Michigan, Ohio and Windsor, Canada.
    Last edited by marv2; 05-20-2020 at 12:57 PM.