[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    So how does having a "strong voice" equate to being a "better" or the "best" singer? Are only black female singers who sound like Aretha, Etta James or Mahalia Jackson legitimate singers or the best singers? I reject that line of thinking, its just stupid. I find it interesting that white singers, males and females, aren't judged by that standard. What white male singer has the strongest voice? What white female singer has the strongest voice? Why aren't they judged by the same standard that DR is judged by?

And let's be honest, when you make an ASININE statement like that, you DESERVE to be punched in the face by total strangers.
    So very true. I never hear people say Barbra Streisand has a better, stronger voice than Olivia Newton John or Karen Carpenter. But that’s the first thing people bring up about Diana Ross. And how everyone else has a stronger, greater voice.
    And in my opinion Diana Ross is better than all of them. Her voice touches me like no other!

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    So very true. I never hear people say Barbra Streisand has a better, stronger voice than Olivia Newton John or Karen Carpenter. But that’s the first thing people bring up about Diana Ross. And how everyone else has a stronger, greater voice.
    And in my opinion Diana Ross is better than all of them. Her voice touches me like no other!
    I think one of the reason people make that statement is because their favorite singer never had the success of Diana Ross or broke ground like DR or had television specials like DR or had as many #1 hits as DR. So to try and downplay her success they turn to the narrative of "she doesn't have the strongest voice or she's not a soul singer". I've seen it often enough to really understand what they're truly saying, and as the great philosopher and poet Katt Williams once said, "Haters are just doing their job."