[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    It was attributed to LaBrenda Ben on "A Cellarful of Motown! Vol 4". I did suggest it sounded like Gloria on "Motown Junkies", but that was a pure guess.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  21.1 KB
    LaBrenda Ben had too deep a voice to have sung on that recording. It was only put there because I put a placeholder name on my tapes -knowing that LaBrenda hadn't sung that. I should have remembered to make sure Rod didn't write that down, but would write "artist unknown" for that one, when he made his tape. Someone in The UK made carvers on all the unreleased Rod brought back in 1980, and there were other placeholder names I had used, [[like "The Fascinators" for "All I have left are Memories", which was actually Sammy Turner, with The Serenaders behind him), all with their names nicely printed, looking very official, like they could have been made at Motown. So people refused to believe me when I told them those weren't the real artist names.

I'll have to play this several times next to Gloria's lead on The Vells' Mel-O-dy Record, and listen to her leads on The Del-Phis Check-Mate record, and decide whether or not they are all the same voice. But, as Martha and the others explained in interviews what Gloria's explanation for leaving the group was, and that we never found any documentation for Gloria making any solo recordings after she left The Vandellas in mid 1962 [[especially all the way until May, 1963), and supposedly left the music industry at that earlier date, it seems implausible to me.
    Last edited by robb_k; 04-12-2020 at 03:57 PM.