[REMOVE ADS]

Is this a bootleg 45?

Hi all,
    I was perusing Ebay just for fun and I came upon this listing by the Temptations:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-TEMPTAT...EAAOSwrfFeMiSP

I have never seen this font used on any 45 I have seen [[the song titles) personally, nor have I seen perimeter printing such as this.

Have any of you?

It's probably a legit copy....I don't think bootlegs would have a deletion hole...I have had several copies of the same singles by the Supremes and the J5 with different type fonts over the years....mostly shorter titles.

It would be interesting to compare it to another MY BABY 45. I would assume that despite font differences, the actual label copy would remain the same?

Yes, definitely an original copy. This font is also used on copies of Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar". I can't think of any others right off the top of my head, but if I see any others I'll add them to the thread. I would assume this was just a design/font variation used by a particular pressing plant at the time. I'm not able to look at mine right now to see who they were pressed by.
    Darin

Name:  MG Peculiar.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  88.7 KB

I thought I knew of another one, and I just remembered it....."Wild One" by the Vandellas.

Name:  Vandellas.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  40.4 KB

Thanks all for the responses. I've seen many a Motown pressing but, again, I have never seen that font.

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    I thought I knew of another one, and I just remembered it....."Wild One" by the Vandellas.

Name:  Vandellas.jpg
Views: 710
Size:  40.4 KB
    Interesting that it says the song is taken from the Wild One album. Was the album changed to something else or never released?

Gordy G-915 was released as "Dance Party" instead.

different pressing plants....in the run off grooves , most of my Motown 45's that were all purchased in Florida, say Nashville Metra..which was the pressing plant Motown used in Nashville.

motony.....Do you mean "Nashville Matrix"? They produced the metal pressing plates, but didn't actually press records from what I understand.

Here is another version with this font.....The Supremes "Symphony".
    Darin

Name:  Supremes Symphony.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  93.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DWSheffer View Post
    motony.....Do you mean "Nashville Matrix"? They produced the metal pressing plates, but didn't actually press records from what I understand.

Here is another version with this font.....The Supremes "Symphony".
    Darin

Name:  Supremes Symphony.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  93.3 KB
    All the UK releases on Oriole have "Nashville Matrix" on the run off grooves.

interesting thread!