[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That's a great idea in theory. Very interesting one. However, a couple things work against it.

First and foremost, there was more money to be made continuing as a headlining act, both for the group members and for Motown. I believe that was the deciding factor in Motown continuing the Supremes after Diana left. And judging by how often they worked, both on television and stage, it was still a lucrative gig. I can't believe that Mary and Cindy would've ever made more money as hired [[and promoted) background singers for any act, rock or not.

Secondly, Mary and Cindy's sound. They would've still needed to add a third voice. Flo and Mary were background powerhouses when they were on top of their game. There is a clear change in sound when Cindy replaces Flo. Cindy's voice was much softer, dare I say even sweeter, than Florence's, and when paired with Mary's, the background is void of the bombastic and energetic sound that was present when Flo was in the group. When DRATS would do the standards and stuff like that, like on the Fats Waller medley, Cindy and Mary's sweet harmonies were perfect. IMO that sound didn't transition as well to their pop/r&b stuff, and thus it is difficult for me to imagine their sound being compatible with 70s rock. Now had they added a third voice to the group for this concept, it's possible that might have worked. I could definitely hear Mary and Cindy with Scherrie excelling in your scenario. But there's still the issue of which situation held the best financial payoff.

As a side note, I once suggested in the forum that Mary might have done better after leaving Motown by becoming an in demand session singer. Her abilities as a first rate background singer [[not to be scoffed at, even though some folks do) being hired as an in demand backing vocalist might have been more to her advantage than singing Supremes songs as a living. Perhaps by working so closely with top talent during the 80s, she may have been able to parlay that into interest of producing something of quality for her solo work. My idea was dismissed.
    Was there more money to be made, though? In the short term, maybe, but in the long term I think not. The problem was at Berry was never going to let the 70s Supremes overshadow Diana. I keep thinking about Tony Turner’s rather trashy but at times insightful book: he remarked how after Diana left, the staging got smaller, the costumes got cheaper, the entourage got smaller, the limousines disappeared, etc.

The problem was the 70s Supremes were always going to have to compete with both being relegated to Diana’s shadow, and of course their 60s legacy chasing them. Equalling or beating their 60s success was never going to be achievable.

if I had been Mary, I would have realised this in 1969 and given up, and carved out a niche for myself as a background singer. Hence our mutual idea. Royalties from singing background on the Stones’ Sticky Fingers? Yes, please!
    Last edited by grangertim; 01-23-2020 at 07:05 AM.