Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
Good point......I do not understand the legalities of the likeness issue. The album covers in Dreamgirls alone are a complete ripoff of the original artwork. I have heard that as long as something is 10% different than the original there isn't a prob. I think the Dreamgirls movie/play was plagiarism. To me is wasn't just a girl group deal, but the Sups story was changed a bit for the "Flo/Effie" Character.
I don't think Flo's girls would have a case against Dreamgirls. That might have been a general Motown issue. I was referring to anything that uses Flo's image at all, like any products being created and sold with her photo on it, be it alone or with the Supremes. Again, I'm not sure how that works legally, particularly with official merch from Motown, but I do think it's a bit shady when I see people selling products over the net with the Supremes emblazoned on the product knowing that in all likelihood the Supremes are not being compensated, if they have a legal right to compensation. Maybe one of our legal eagles can help out with this understanding.