[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Just checked it out iTunes, great stuff!
    Few randomers as per usual, anyone know who Michael Denton is?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  21.1 KB
    He is Mickey Denton [[as stated by "Lucky, Lucky, Me". Mickey came to Motown with Harry Balk, Duke Browner, The Volumes, and The Lollipops, when Balk came to Motown to run Motown's Rare Earth label. They were artists and producer [[Browner) for Balk's Impact and Inferno Records, and were still affiliated with Motown subsidiary Inferno Records, which was half-owned by Balk.

Mickey was a long-Time Detroit singer, who also recorded for Amy, and Palmer Records, and with Balk's group at Big Top, and Balk's own Twirl, and American Arts[[part of World Artists [[where Denton was assigned) labels, as well as one or two other Detroit labels, earlier. You should listen to his "The Other Side of Betty" on Big Top Records, it was a Balk/Duke Browner production recorded in Detroit. It sounds like it could be a Smokey Robinson 1961 production. His version of "Nature Boy" isn't bad. Balk's Soul writers, Barbey "Duke" Browner, and Maron McKenzie wrote several songs for Mickey. So he was more of a Pop/Soul hybrid than Del Shannon was for Balk. They tried to market Shannon as pure Pop.

Listen to "Didn't We", and "Someone For My Own". He really could sing. He reminded me of Tommy Good. Listen to "The Other Side Of Betty", too. Too bad Balk didn't give him better material all those years, to have a national hit. He did do well in the local clubs in The Detroit Metro Area. Not having to take a "day job" during the '60s, with all that great Soul music, and then The British Invasion, was a quite a respectable feat. I envy him that, as I chose the "safer conservative road" getting a "day job" for my first 18 years after graduation from university, instead of trying to make it as a full-time cartoonist. I made it later, but it's always been a struggle, and I often wonder what would have happened if I had had the guts to try.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-08-2019 at 09:42 PM.