[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    DC back in October 1962 … the show @ the Howard …
    Attachment 16308

Quote Originally Posted by jsmith View Post
    Attachment 16308
    Thank you for producing this. This is IDENTICAL to the hand painted sign that Mr. Woodson has in his book. He commented beneath the sign the following:

"This should set the record straight for those music 'historians' who believe the Temptations and Stevie Wonder were on the tour in October 1962."

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Thank you for producing this. This is IDENTICAL to the hand painted sign that Mr. Woodson has in his book. He commented beneath the sign the following:

"This should set the record straight for those music 'historians' who believe the Temptations and Stevie Wonder were on the tour in October 1962."
    IIRC Stevie and the Tempts were only on the run of shows at the Apollo. Albeit, the Tempts were only there to sing background vocals for Mary Wells.

Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    IIRC Stevie and the Tempts were only on the run of shows at the Apollo. Albeit, the Tempts were only there to sing background vocals for Mary Wells.
    I think Stevie did a few shows on the 1962 tour including the Apollo.

The Tempts sang backup for Mary during the 1963 tour, I believe, as seen in the familiar Apollo clip. She has no backup vocalists on the live album recorded at the Apollo in 1962.

The Motortown Revue show went out on the road for an extended period, playing chitlin circuit theatres in most big cities [[except on the west coast).
    As the tour would last 2 / 3 months in all, acts would leave it to go back to Detroit for recording sessions & the like. If an act left, BG would send another to replace it. ALSO, if a new act [[say Jimmy Ruffin in the mid 60's) or a 'cold' act got a hit, they'd be added to a Revue ensemble that was already on tour as this helped promote the record & the act.

Attachment 16308
    I'm not sure how accurate that actually is. The Supreme's Let Me Go The Right Way was not released until November of 1962.

Quote Originally Posted by SatansBlues View Post
    I'm not sure how accurate that actually is. The Supreme's Let Me Go The Right Way was not released until November of 1962.
    Likely, it was on the list of upcoming releases so was already being promoted as the current single. From all the songs listed here, this definitely looks like an ad for 1962.

Satansblues, it is very accurate as I copied it from an actual copy of the Washington Afro-American dated 23rd October 62. Why would you think that the Supremes couldn't be performing live a track that was about to become their new 45 … the fact it wasn't actually released for a few more days didn't stop promo copies of the 45 being out with radio stations or the Supremes including their next release in their live act.

Satansblues, it is very accurate as I copied it from an actual copy of the Washington Afro-American dated 23rd October 62. Why would you think that the Supremes couldn't be performing live a track that was about to become their new 45 … the fact it wasn't actually released for a few more days didn't stop promo copies of the 45 being out with radio stations or the Supremes including their next release in their live act.
    I recall reading where Berry Gordy himself was editing the song himself the day that the tour left Detroit.