Quote Originally Posted by Sotosound View Post
In the UK we were also listening to all of those artists, but we also sent "Chain Reaction" to Number One.

It was fun, it was slightly retro, but it was also "current" and eminently danceable, and it's been a floor-filler ever since. It was also a great pop song.

What it showed is that the classic Supremes sound never lost its appeal. Janet Jackson, Vanessa Paradis and Ace of Base also subsequently recognised this and exploited it.

It might also be that there was a slight divergence of taste regarding the Bee Gees at that time since their resurgence in the UK in the late 80s wasn't quite matched in the USA. The UK seemed more open to what they were doing, including producing a smash hit for Diana Ross.

But it's also always been that way between the UK and the USA, and sometimes it takes 20 or 30 years before a record that hits in one country but misses in the other gets the wider recognition that it deserves.

For instance, "What's Going On" and "Let's Get It On" by Marvin Gaye are viewed as classics in the UK, but the UK didn't actually chart WGO at all, and LGIO only scraped into the UK Top 40.

Go figure. Beats me.
I am in total agreement Sotosound. Your observations regarding the Bee Gees are also spot on.
"Chain Reaction" is the perfect pop record and more than deserved it's international [[bar usa) success. More of this would have been nice.
I do partly agree with marv in that during those rca years Diana seldom had her finger on the button as regards music trends and the type of music her fans craved for.