Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
What is with you being so bothered by other folks opinions? It's almost funny. How do you quantify a term like "ridiculous" as it relates to someone holding the opinion that Mary could've been a bigger solo star? How do you prove such a statement, that it's "ridiculous"? I get that you and others may not think Mary had a chance. That doesn't bother me. All of this stuff is taking place in the 70s and 80s, so where's the argument? I personally think Mary could've been bigger than she was, if only marginally, with a certain amount of luck on her side [[among other things that I've listed ad nauseum in previous threads), in a business that seems to be chocked full of talented artists, some of whom make it all the way, some who barely get out the gate. What's that saying about it? That it's ten percent talent and 90 percent luck, or something like that?

If believing Mary Wilson was good enough to be a consistent recording artist and occasional hit maker [[that's my opinion of Mary), makes me ridiculous...where do I get the t shirt?
I have stated many times that Mary had talent and could have, with the proper direction, have had a much more lucrative singing career. What I find ridiculous is blaming Motown for her failure to launch a solo career in 1979. I say this because Motown never showed the slightest interest in Mary as a soloist with the group, cancelling gigs if she was the only one left to sing lead etc. they only did her album as a legal settlement- not an act of faith in her future as a solo star. No other company was interested enough to take her on, and no mentors like Tina got who took her from oblivion to the biggest female in the industry. To clarify: I did not ascribe “ridiculous” to those who felt mary could be a bigger star, as I was one Of them. I was referring to the inference that Motown somehow owed her something or “should have.........” done something or felt some sort of obligation to develop a talent they did not believe in.

Mary lacked vision back then and had no one to direct her except Pedro......nuff said? She adapted, learned, developed and grew all on her own into a bonafide artist.