Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
Excellent thread. Next to MOTOWN, Phil Spector was my fave "record man" growing up.1964 & the Blossoms on Shindig..." .[[He's A)Quiet Guy" by Darlene Love was getting heavy air-play on all the Pop stations in Florida, I went that week end to buy the 45 and told not available yet, then Darlene got a solo spot on Shindig and did "Quiet Guy" then I hear it was withdrawn. I didn't hear "Stumble & Fall" til years later and "Quiet Guy" is so much better. I have recently bought what is suppose to be all the Shindig episodes but some are really bad condition and have seen both Fanita & Jean in solo spots, which I remembered from original broadcasts, but haven't ran across the Darlene "Quiet Guy" but I know I wasn't trippin.
Thanks, motony! I'm glad you're enjoying the Phil Spector/Philles thread! There's lots more good stuff to come! In fact, I'm working on Part B - "Complete Philles LP's" -- as we speak.

I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that Darlene's single was getting heavy airplay throughout Florida, and I'm equally surprised that it was the alleged B-side, "[[He's A) Quiet Guy", they were playing [[which, BTW, is one of Darlene's favorite Philles tracks)! It's funny, Phil almost always stuck those instrumentals on the B-sides to force airplay attention on the A-Side only. This time, he put two great tracks back-to-back on the same disc, with "Stumble And Fall" as the intended A-side, and first thing the DJ's do is flip it over to the B-side "Quiet Guy"! And, of course, when you went to the record store to buy it, it wasn't available yet because Phil had only pressed DJ Promo copies at the time, which he withdrew soon after when he and Darlene locked horns over the Shindig gig. [[Like you, I loved Shindig! I watched faithfully every week.) I'm surprised to learn that the NYC guy you met had a promo copy indicating that "Quiet Guy' was the intended A-side, and I'm equally surprised to hear that Darlene performed it on Shindig. My Promo copy of Darlene's Philles 123 has "Stumble And Fall" on one side and "[[He's A) Quiet Guy" on the other side. Both sides are marked "D.J. Copy Not For Sale", with no indication of the intended A-side. The Phil Spector books have always referred to "Stumble And Fall" as the A-side, which happens to be my preferred side, so that's what I've always gone by. Another oddity regarding this single is that, up until Darlene's Philles 123, Philles promo copies have always been white label with black PR logo. My DJ Promo copy is yellow/red, like a stock Philles copy, yet it clearly states "D.J. Copy, Not For Sale.

You'll get to see my NM Promo copy soon, I hope. Last night, just a few posts back, my buddy Kenny [[Kenneth) offered to post photos of it if I would send some to him, which I did immediately. "Stumble And Fall" b/w "[[He's A) Quiet Guy" is considered among the rarest and most valuable of all the Philles single releases. I was most fortunate to have found my copy in NM condition. It remains one of my pride & joys.