Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
I should say I learned of them when I got a spurt of new interest in disco about twenty years ago and I got hooked on discovering all the earlier disco I'd missed by starting my clubbing at the beginning of '76.
John, I'm curious -- When you started delving back into the pre-1976 disco releases to see what you had missed, what were some of your newfound discoveries?

Also, did you get into the Ariola America label at all, like Polly Brown's "Up In A Puff Of Smoke", "You're My Number One", and "Special Delivery", or Billy Ocean's mid-70s "Love Really Hurts Without You", "L.O.D. [[Love On Delivery)", "Stop [[If You've Heard It All Before)" and "Red Light Spells Danger"? The Ariola America label -- at least for Polly Brown's and Billy Ocean's releases -- was a combination of Motown & Disco. I loved their "sound" and still do. In early '76, Ariola America released a Various Artists Disco album but I forget the title. It came out about the same time as Atlantic Records' "Disco Trek".

Also, having given Meco a temporary rest[[!), I've been meaning to ask you -- Do you remember the 1976 LP by the DCA EXPERIENCE titled "Bicentennial Disco" on the Private Stock label? It was produced by Meco, Tony Bongiovi, and Jay Ellis.

And, finally, do you remember the Disco album by THE GOOD VIBRATIONS on the Millennium label? It was all disco-styled remakes of Beach Boys songs. I always loved their dance version of "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows".