[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    No i haven't noticed that. I hadn't really taken any notice of this impending book until i saw the article yesterday. I shall wait a few months until it is in the bargain bin before deciding if it is worth purchasing. The photos look nice, but as for the actual content we shall have to wait and see.
    And of course without Diana Ross to focus upon this book would never have got past the planning stages......hehehehehehehe!
    "My life became consumed by trying to keep the peace and watching over Flo." Now THAT'S a HEHEHEHEHE! I'll certainly pass over this most recent grave-dig by Wilson after reading this excerpt. I had hoped it would be an elegant picture book about the Supremes' costumes; instead it's more of Wilson's 'it's all about me' usual thing. It's unfortunate that she can never seem to, as Michelle Obama says 'go high' and instead chooses to yet again get publicity by dragging up one member's rape, which that member wanted kept secret. And, sorry to say, girl looks one hot mess in the recent promo pic. The 'Roseann' reboot was cancelled; did she get that afghan from the set's sofa?
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 07-29-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    "And, sorry to say, girl looks one hot mess in the recent promo pic.
    I don't think I've seen this promo pic? Which one is it?

I'm kinda disappointed by these excerpts and that the Supremes' story is being laid out like this, once again. It's really just giving more ammunition to the media to focus on the controversy, which in my opinion detracts from what I think this book is supposed to be, which is a classy definitive book on The Supremes' glamorous and cultural influence. Daily Mail has always been skewed in their reporting, so I'm hoping the rest of the book will outweigh these negative bits that the Daily Mail has chosen to focus on. Hopefully the focus will be more on the gowns, achievements and photos, rather than the same old. Mark Bego's books have always sacrificed factual accuracy for tabloid appeal and controversy. Perhaps she should have taken on a different writer. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong...
    Last edited by carlo; 07-29-2019 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I don't think I've seen this promo pic? Which one is it?

I'm kinda disappointed by these excerpts and that the Supremes' story is being laid out like this, once again. It's really just giving more ammunition to the media to focus on the controversy, which in my opinion detracts from what I think this book is supposed to be, which is a classy definitive book on The Supremes' glamorous and cultural influence. Daily Mail has always been skewed in their reporting, so I'm hoping the rest of the book will outweigh these negative bits that the Daily Mail has chosen to focus on. Hopefully the focus will be more on the gowns, achievements and photos, rather than the same old. Mark Bego's books have always sacrificed factual accuracy for tabloid appeal and controversy. Perhaps she should have taken on a different writer. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong...
    Hi Carlo - I'll capture the pic later and post it. It really is a shame because a real art book of the Supremes costumes, with pictures, names of and 'reflections' by the designers, specifics about the fabrics, dates/places where worn, etc would be a wonderful addition to Supremes lore and Wilson is well within her rights to produce such a book. For her to bring up the exhausted [[and contested ...) same-ole same-ole is a tremendous disappointment. It COULD be that the published excerpt is the entirety of that sort of retread and the Mail just chose that part for its sensationalism. We'll see! I, too, hope to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    It really is a shame because a real art book of the Supremes costumes, with pictures, names of and 'reflections' by the designers, specifics about the fabrics, dates/places where worn, etc would be a wonderful addition to Supremes lore and Wilson is well within her rights to produce such a book.
    That was what I envisioned and hoped for the book. Some of it is in the gown section and the photographs of the detailed beading/sequins is stunning. It's beautiful to see them in stage lights, but I will add this book is not solely about the gowns. I wish it was. There is a lot of great stuff that didn't make the cut and it's a shame because the fans would have ate it up.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    That was what I envisioned and hoped for the book. Some of it is in the gown section and the photographs of the detailed beading/sequins is stunning. It's beautiful to see them in stage lights, but I will add this book is not solely about the gowns. I wish it was. There is a lot of great stuff that didn't make the cut and it's a shame because the fans would have ate it up.
    Absolutely, and could / could have introduced young fashionistas to our girls. I worked in NYC's garment center for decades and developed a keen interest in 'historic' clothing. Types of beading & sequins, choice in fabrics, inspiration of design, etc. Let's hope that this book has at least a bit of that!