[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
    Oh my, this is really good. Perhaps Diana might consider a duets album some time in he future. Love me some J.H.
    No! No duets album — unless she starts recording regularly! No remakes either!

Quote Originally Posted by pghmusiclover View Post
    No! No duets album — unless she starts recording regularly! No remakes either!
    Agreed. Not a fan of duets and/or remakes ever.

If Diana was ever to consider recording a new duets album i myself would prefer it to be with an R & B producer to include Soul/R & B artists. Admittedly the format has been done to death, but i would hate it to end up a Tony Bennett or Streisand type affair which sold in bucket loads but imo were awful.
    Perhaps a whole album with just one male singer might prove better.....Any thoughts as to who might make a suitable candidate?........Answers on a postcard.

If Diana was ever to consider recording a new duets album i myself would prefer it to be with an R & B producer to include Soul/R & B artists. Admittedly the format has been done to death, but i would hate it to end up a Tony Bennett or Streisand type affair which sold in bucket loads but imo were awful.
    Perhaps a whole album with just one male singer might prove better.....Any thoughts as to who might make a suitable candidate?........Answers on a postcard.
    Honestly, my vote is for Smokey. It would have to be someone age appropriate because no one would take seriously Diana and say-God forbid- John Legend. On the right song Diana still has "it" and Smokey is one of the legends who hasn't lost any of what he had back in the day. The brotha can still bring the magic. I proposed this in another thread sometime ago. For me, because Diana Ross is tied with Aretha as my favorite female vocalist, and Marvin Gaye is my favorite male vocalist, the Diana and Marvin pairing is the ultimate. I love it just because it's Diana and Marvin. I would not complain if there were two or three Diana and Marvin albums, like the Supremes and Tops and Tempts. However, I do believe that there was a certain amount of magic missing from the duets. Whether that was a real lack of chemistry or because there was interference from the lives they were living [[being pregnant takes a toll in so many different ways), is anyone's guess. But I suspect that Diana and Smokey's natural soothing tones would have complimented each other beautifully and thus would have been a more ideal fit for the general public's tastes. The big drawback might have been the fact that it really would've been two high voiced singers which might have annoyed some and confused others. But today, because Diana's voice is nowhere near as high as it once was and has lost a ton more of her nasal register [[lol), I think it could be smooth sailing. Plus it's two legends with built in fan bases, producers would jump at the chance to be involved, the general public could even be persuaded to get into it. Could prove a high profile project for them both, if they were ever inclined to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Plus it's two legends with built in fan bases, producers would jump at the chance to be involved, the general public could even be persuaded to get into it. Could prove a high profile project for them both, if they were ever inclined to do it.
    Sold! I'm in!
    Too bad Marvin & Diana getting together in later years for an album wasn't meant to be.
    When was she ever nasal?! lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Honestly, my vote is for Smokey. It would have to be someone age appropriate because no one would take seriously Diana and say-God forbid- John Legend. On the right song Diana still has "it" and Smokey is one of the legends who hasn't lost any of what he had back in the day. The brotha can still bring the magic. I proposed this in another thread sometime ago. For me, because Diana Ross is tied with Aretha as my favorite female vocalist, and Marvin Gaye is my favorite male vocalist, the Diana and Marvin pairing is the ultimate. I love it just because it's Diana and Marvin. I would not complain if there were two or three Diana and Marvin albums, like the Supremes and Tops and Tempts. However, I do believe that there was a certain amount of magic missing from the duets. Whether that was a real lack of chemistry or because there was interference from the lives they were living [[being pregnant takes a toll in so many different ways), is anyone's guess. But I suspect that Diana and Smokey's natural soothing tones would have complimented each other beautifully and thus would have been a more ideal fit for the general public's tastes. The big drawback might have been the fact that it really would've been two high voiced singers which might have annoyed some and confused others. But today, because Diana's voice is nowhere near as high as it once was and has lost a ton more of her nasal register [[lol), I think it could be smooth sailing. Plus it's two legends with built in fan bases, producers would jump at the chance to be involved, the general public could even be persuaded to get into it. Could prove a high profile project for them both, if they were ever inclined to do it.
    Diana & Smokey.... Hmmm........Could work. I love Cupie doll.
    Like you Ran, Diana & Marvin for me is the ultimate duet combination. I think their voices work perfectly together. It annoys me that this collaboration is so often compared unfavourably with Tammi and Marvin who were far more attacking in their style. Imagine if D & M had recorded another album together say around 78. It could have taken the place of the less then wonderful Ross.
    Last edited by Ollie9; 07-14-2019 at 05:00 PM.

Diana & Smokey.... Hmmm........Could work. I love Cupie doll.
    Like you Ran, Diana & Marvin for me is the ultimate duet combination. I think their voices work perfectly together. It annoys me that this collaboration is so often compared unfavourably with Tammi and Marvin who were far more attacking in their style. Imagine if D & M had recorded another album together say around 78. It could have taken the place of the less then wonderful Ross.
    Marvin and Tammi were an unbeatable combo. There was just something about their voices that seemed to click IMO in such a way no two duet partners did before or since. They didn't just sound like they were singing those songs, they sounded like they were living those songs...and singing about each other. I think the Diana and Marvin album may have happened at the wrong time, but I don't know if 78 would've been the time. Marvin may not have been up to it, with his divorce and all. But they do sound great together on "Keep My Light" from 1978 so you might have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Agreed. Not a fan of duets and/or remakes ever.
    Agreed. We want original material with contempory writers and producers. Keep the old Ross vibe, but with a twist of the current trends. Not a sell out, but certainly a nod towards what is currently happening out there.