Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
Good question Luke. If I remember correctly, Martha Reeves hired the members of The Vandellas as her backup singers [[unlike the other Motown groups). So it's not that surprising that none of the recordings that they made have any of the other members of the group singing lead.
I think what Martha did was recruit Vandellas, but Motown hired them, which is why they sued Motown and not Martha when they were owed royalties for the songs they recorded. But they were certainly not a group in the traditional sense. Didn't Rosalind do an interview a couple years back where she says something along the lines of that she wasn't even interested in being a singer but got pulled into it, more or less, by Annette or another friend in the late 50s? Some groups are made up of multiple lead singers who enjoy the spotlight [[the Supremes, the Tempts, the J5, etc) while some others just aren't constructed that way. I think the fact that Martha's name was out front from the very first release says all that needs to be said about the chances of an odd Vandella lead or two existing.