Quote Originally Posted by mowsville View Post
I have always thought WTB is one of the funkiest tracks Diana ever did [[apart from the stupid lyrics)..its the only track I feel was right on track for the time...all of her other releases always seem a couple of years behind the times.
I agree about the lyrics and the funkiness of the track, but I think most of the tracks of the singles at the time sound contemporary, it's just most of them weren't doing anything to set them above the competition. There was a lot of good stuff out at that time. "Work That Body"'s subject matter killed it's chances, but "Mirror, Mirror" was right on the money and the public responded to it. The same with "Muscles". I still don't understand why "Fools" was a major hit. Every time I hear it, it sounds like a precursor to the I Love You album and it's karaoke sound. Between "Muscles" and "Swept Away", those songs were out of touch with Diana's fan base. She was never gonna win with that stuff. And if she couldn't connect with the audience, she definitely wasn't going to get the non fans who might have bought a single just because the song is good and not because they particularly care for Diana. She was back on track for "Swept" and "Missing You" and then it's pretty much down hill from there.