Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
You simply have to like a performers range and style....then you make friends with the material. Every one of the Supremes had talent and good looks....perhaps not the "rope 'em in, and slay them" appeal DR had...lets face it, she had the unique talent, and discipline and drive to be in it for the long haul...a lifetime. And the stars and planets must have lined up perfectly for her to have crossed paths with Berry, who was looking for ONE individual Super-star.
Jean was of course given a golden opportunity. She had to have a lot of confidence and nerves of steel to even consider the role offered her. She must have been very comfortable with Cindy and Mary, and their encouragement most likely made the job easier for her.
I respect her for not selling out to fit a over the top image she didn't feel in touch with just to become a company founder / big boss favorite. She got the job done nicely, and maintained her integrity. And she provided ME with many of my favorite Supremes cuts.
Agreed. I wish Jean had continued seriously with a solo career after leaving the Supremes. To think of all the great stuff we missed out on...