Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
Y'know Snake, I wonder the same thing, but I don't think it's as bad as it may sound. By the '66-'67 tracks falling into the Public Domain they're not protected by U.S. Copyright law. So no permission is needed to use the songs if my memory serves me correctly. I don't believe all is lost, they can probably be released it's just that not much of a fight can be put up when someone is interested in releasing them. Maybe Keith or someone here who knows more about this can provide clarity, but I don't think we have too much to worry about.
My understanding is that the reason for these digital only previously unreleased releases at 50 years is for European laws. That when the European law got changed to lengthen copyright, there was a clause for not released prior to certain date at 50 years they would need to be released to lengthen to 75 years or fall into public domain.

My understanding is that US copyright is already at 75 years whether released on unreleased.

As far as unreleased reverting back to the artist after a certain time, I believe is determined by what was in the artists original contracts.