Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
Robb and Quinn I love both of your stories and choices. Marvin Gaye had been making records long before I was old enough to afford to buy them. My parents bought his records starting with "Stubborn Kind of Fella", but it was "Pride and Joy" that made me a fan as a young kid. I loved that record then and now. I loved the call and response between Marvin and the Vandellas, the rockin', gospelish rhythm track and especially how it starts out with the piano tickling away.

As far as my first official purchase of a Marvin Gaye record with my own money, it was "Trouble Man" the single. It just sounded cool to me. It took me probably a couple of decades to learn the part of that record where does like this rapid fire rap of

"I know some places and I've seen some faces
I've got good connections they dig in my directions
What people say that's okay
They don't bother me

Ready to make it, don't fool with no women
Don't care 'bout no trouble got myself together
I feel a kind of protection is all around me
This I know baby...."

Whew!
Yeah, that staccato part had my father for the longest. He bought the soundtrack in '72 and I had to write the words down and tell him verbally then sing it to him. When he says I'm ready to make it the next line is "Don't care what the weather". Given the storyline in the film, it wouldn't make sense for him to say he didn't care about women because that's all T had.

In the opening sequence at poolside,one of his girlfriends asks if she's gonna see him again. Then when he combs the city looking for answers about the Abbey Walsh murder,he talks to two other women. Cleo was his main squeeze and at the end he takes a new hire out for breakfast. So the man had chicks in rotation and Chalky and Pete shouldn't have messed with him LOL!!!.