Quote Originally Posted by WaitingWatchingLookingForAChance View Post
The issue Questlove brings up about Motown being a factory of sorts, that the Funk Brothers could create such mammoth music in a workman-like mind set illustrates something that constantly chills me to the bone: that the Funk Brothers could create such mammoth music with a workman-like setting.

It wasn't about creating art, or making an artistic statement. It was jazz musicians trying to make a living to provide for their families. And still, when I hear something like Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "Much Better Off", it sends shivers down my spine how incredible that music is.

The other day, I was playing the R. Dean Taylor Essential Collection CD and the song "Lady Bug stay Away From That Beatle" came on. An Absolutely Silly song. BUT- the music track kicked total "A". The way the Funk Brothers were essentially playing "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes" sideways and making it sound great; the way Benny Benjamin would flip the beat backwards and frontwards and every which way in between; the way the rhythm section in general was playing circles around this thing the way a cat bats around a helpless mouse- it's almost supernaturally frightening how good these men were.
That was a big part of the magic of Motown during the '60s. The Funk Bros. may have worked in a 'factory like setting' but, they were all great players who gelled as a unit. Also, they developed a sound that clicked so well they could make even novelty songs [[such as "Lady Bug Stay Away From That Beatle") listenable. And when you add the classic songs from Motown's songwriting/production staff along with the talent/star-power of the singers, you have Great Art.