[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Remember when?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
    Attachment 14450
    Once my full hair came in [[a few months old?) I've always worn my hair the same length, fairly short [[a couple inches).

Since age 6 or so [[last almost 70 years), I've worn the same uniform [[baseball cap, T-shirt, blue jeans, white athletic socks, and sneakers/tennis shoes/trainers). That only differed for very short periods, like the one year I was actually an employee [[an engineering company), where I had to wear a suit everyday. I nipped THAT in the bud, by becoming an independent consultant on 3rd World projects, and working for Native American and First Nation Tribal governments in Canada and USA, all of which allowed me to wear my T-shirt and jeans, except for a day or two of first client meetings.

Of course, in winter in Canada and northern US, I had to wear a few layers and a winter coat over my "uniform". Spending summers in The Netherlands as a youth, I was easily identifiable as a North American, despite speaking Dutch, because of my baseball cap. Or else, people thought I was eccentric at a young age, because absolutely no one else [[except maybe US GIs in Germany) ever wore them. Traveling in Europe as a teenager was the same. Same when I moved to The Netherlands in 1972. Finally, during the early 2000s, men and boys started wearing baseball caps in Europe. But, nobody over 30 did. So, I was still thought of as as an eccentric upon first sight, as old men in Europe would never wear such a thing. Of course, after people met me they found out I was a LOT more eccentric than they even guessed [[but for other reasons ).

Nowadays, even some crotchety old men here wear them, so I don't stand out as much. Now they think I'm just one of a group of eccentric old men, who want to recapture their youths. So, they finally followed me, and I can consider myself, loosely, a trend setter!
    Robb, a suit and tie has been my "uniform" most of my working life. In the early 00s, when being allowed to work from home, I didn't have to wear one everyday. My first job I had to wear one even if it was my day off and I wanted to just top into the office to pick up something!

I have noticed that even retirees and some VERY senior guys in nursing homes wear baseball caps in America. My grandfather and his friends wore them all the time when I would see him in summer. He wore a dress hat whenever he wore a suit though. Culture can seem strange, but it is also a lot of fun to me in many ways. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb, a suit and tie has been my "uniform" most of my working life. In the early 00s, when being allowed to work from home, I didn't have to wear one everyday. My first job I had to wear one even if it was my day off and I wanted to just top into the office to pick up something!

I have noticed that even retirees and some VERY senior guys in nursing homes wear baseball caps in America. My grandfather and his friends wore them all the time when I would see him in summer. He wore a dress hat whenever he wore a suit though. Culture can seem strange, but it is also a lot of fun to me in many ways. LOL!
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  21.1 KB
    I did wear a "stingey-brim" with a small feather in it for a few years, in last year of high school and first year of collage, when I went out, at night. And I carried around a "Ghetto Blaster" also for a couple years.

My first work suit was a three-piece, with a fancy vest [[silk back). It was hotter than Hell, to wear all that in more than 45 degrees or so. So, I quickly dropped the vest and didn't wear my coat unless we had a client meeting, or a meeting with the big bosses. That all drove me to become an independent consultant, and, eventually, to become a free-lance cartoonist!
    Last edited by robb_k; 07-18-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Robb, Dixie Peach hair dressing [[I guess that was the formal name) was something straight out of the 1940s and 50s. They advertised in the old magazines etc.
Views: 625
    Lots of people I knew still used it all through the 1960s. You can just play old WVON, WDIA, KGFJ and KDIA DJ soundchecks, and hear the adverts.

I checked on line, and they still sell both Dixie Peach, and Royal Crown. But they have new label styles on the jars.

Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Views: 625
    Lots of people I knew still used it all through the 1960s. You can just play old WVON, WDIA, KGFJ and KDIA DJ soundchecks, and hear the adverts.

I checked on line, and they still sell both Dixie Peach, and Royal Crown. But they have new label styles on the jars.
    It's funny to me that these products and brands just refuse to die! LOL! Royal Crown I had not heard of in probably 30 years.