According to Wikipedia [[not always the most accurate source, of course)...

"An earlier studio recorded version of the song includes some lyrics which were cut from the seven-inch single, which reveal the story as somewhat different. The couple were young, the girl was either a virgin or sexually inexperienced. She was still living at home [["You took me from the shelter of my mother"), the boy was her first boyfriend [["I had never known or loved any other"), and the relationship was probably unconsummated [["and love me like you tried before".) The couple rush into marriage and the relationship crashes on the wedding night, when the woman rejects her groom's advance [["And the night I turned you away" - an allusion that she was frigid), emotionally wounding him, resulting in him leaving her. After the hurt she had caused, they spend their wedding night in separate rooms. She then expresses her regret at her mistake [["And the dream of what love could be, if you were still here with me"). These [[lyrics) were removed from the first verse: "And the memories of our wedding day, and the night I turned you away.” These were effectively substituted with, "And the memories of what love could be, if you were still here with me"; and a larger bridge - "Each night, I lie awake and I tell myself, the vows we made gave you the right, to have a love each night." - which is repeated again later in the song, cutting 18 seconds twice over from the song."