That's another good point soulster. I hadn't noticed the compression issue before. I will be checking that out.

On the subject of this album ,I have to recommend a book by Barry Edmonds ,from 2001 ,titled "What's Going On ? ,Marvin Gaye And The Last Days Of Motown". This is a baaaddd litle red book that has a hell of a lot of info on the issues of the time span when the album was made and facts about the writing and production and recording and mixing of the album. More than any CD booklet could ever have in it. There are so many interviews from insiders and folks that were involved with the album ,firsthand. They have statements from some of the Funk Bros ,saying that Marvin was like an honorary Funk Bro ,just as Preaston was considered the "5th Beatle". Van Petite was to Marvin as Riddle was to Sinatra. The book says that the Detroit Orch enjoyed the hell out of the string and horn sessions and that at one point Marvin was reduced to tears during a playback. It's a very interesting read.