[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Albator View Post

Today, her name is famous but I think people don't really know what's behind it.
    She is famous because of her time as the lead singer of The Supremes.

"Upside Down" is an evergreen hit, heard on the radio every day. "Coming out" gets a little airplay.
    I hear "I'm Coming Out" much more than "Upside Down". Part of it could be that "I'm Coming Out" was used by The Notorious B.I.G. for his hit "Mo Money, Mo Problems" in 1997.

When "you keep me hanging on" is heard, it's by Kim Wilde and "You can't hurry love" is by Phill Collins.
    15 years ago we had Endless Love, Love Hangover and Do You Know where you going to".
    "All Of You" and "Chain Reaction" were top 50 hits but are completely forgotten now.
    Her singles stopped receiving airplay after "Chain Reaction".
    I've never heard "Dirty Looks" or "Working overtime", even if those were her last singles issued.
    If I hear a Diana Ross hit today, it is almost always "Ain't No Mountain High Enough".

Gladys Knight was a little name in the seventies but her records went nowhere, even her very good radio friendly oriented "licence to kill".
    Either you're not in the U.S. or you're on drugs.

Even after her monster "lady Marmelade" hit, Patti Labelle is unknown.
    Now I know you're on drugs! Aside from "Lady Marmalade", She is well known for her 80s hit "On My Own" with Michael McDonald.

Aretha is very famous and respected, but like Diana, it's more a name or an "aura" than a strong seller.
    Are you sure those drugs you took weren't laced with something else? LOL!

Dionne Warwick was big in the sixties and she toured quite frequently on a smaller scale but she is not associated with pop music. She is more seen like a Showbiz act. "heartbreaker" was her last hit.
    This is the funniest post i've read in years!

Chaka Khan had a little moment with "I feel for you" but that's it.
    I'm beginning to wonder what your age is. Chaka Khan well known as the lead singer of Rufus in the 70s and early 80s. Remember "Tell Me Something Good", "Sweet Thing" and especially "Ain't Nobody"? However, it is too bad no one seems to remember her excellent solo debut single "I'm Every Woman" in 1978. Now the younger crowd thinks it's a Whitney Houston original.

Donna Summer was probably the one with the biggest sales from 76 to 82. Like in the US, she disappeared after "She Works Hard for the money".
    OK, so you aren't in the U.S.. Donna Summer certainly did not disappear after 1983! She had another major hit in 1989 with "This Time I Know It's For real", courtesy of Stock/Aitken/Waterman.

This is a major problem on this forum: We have members in both Europe/U.K., and in the Americas. The music scenes are very different in these respective locations. We like to think they are somewhat the same, but they aren't, and when people don't disclose this in their posts, it causes a lot more confusion and arguments that needn't happen.

Obviously, I look at this all from the U.S. perspective, and all of these artists are from the U.S.. I gather that Ross, and Motown, in general, are more revered in Europe/U.K. than in their native land. Hate to say it, but racial politics plays a role in that.
    Last edited by soulster; 06-14-2018 at 12:03 PM.