[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I totally agree with you regarding the MSC era. Scherrie would have torn it up on those three songs which were not ideally suited to Mary's more ballad orientated voice. It could have made an already thoroughly decent album into a potentially great one.
    Nope! Those records would not have been anything without Mary Wilson. She gives them a spark. She sang full lead on He's My Man in my opinion.

will do this by era. and haven't figured out where they could have incorporated more three-part harmonies, little line trade offs [[like Breathtaking Guy) and shared lead lines. too many to list frankly

Pre WDOLG
    *let me go right way - Flo lead
    *Funny how time slips away - would have at least liked to try flo on this on. or mary too
    *Who's loving you - mary
    *Too Hot - Flo
    *Save me a star - mary
    *I'm giving you your freedom - mary

DMF post WDOLG
    *i wouldn't change any of the A side singles - except maybe Love Is Here and given each girl a solo speaking section
    *Going down for third time - flo
    *Johnny One Note - Flo
    *Remove this doubt - mary
    *Unchained melody - Mary or even flo
    *these boots are made for walking - flo
    *come and get these memories - would be interesting to hear flo's take on this
    *heatwave - again, wonder what flo would have done with it
    *what becomes of the broken hearted - mary
    *I'm gonna make you love me [[spoken part) - mary

DRATS
    *Will this be the day - mary
    *ode to billie joe - mary or cindy
    *STormy - mary or cindy
    *Beginning of the end - mary
    *Autumn leaves - mary or cindy

Jean era
    *Precious little things - Cindy
    *floy joy, touch and auto sun - all three would have been 3-way leads
    *Once in the morning - have M and L come in on third verse, maybe each taking a line and then doing some 3-part harmony
    *Love it came to me this time - jean is gorgeous here. such amazing control and restraint. but would be fascinating to hear M and C doing parts too
    *Bad Weather - Lynda
    *All I want or Cheap Lovin - Lynda

Scherrie era
    *He's my man, early morning, this is why - scherrie, most definitely
    *Can we love again - cindy
    *alt version of You Can't Stop A Girl in Love - cindy
    *We should be closer - Scherrie or susaye. love Mary's version but curious as to how these other two would handle a sensual ballad
    *Don't let my teardrops - scherrie, again she's a stunning vocalist. Mary rocks this one but would love to hear scherrie's attempt too

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    *let me go right way - Flo lead
    *Funny how time slips away - would have at least liked to try flo on this on. or mary too
    *Who's loving you - mary
    *Too Hot - Flo
    *Save me a star - mary

*Remove this doubt - mary
    *these boots are made for walking - flo
    *come and get these memories - would be interesting to hear flo's take on this
    *heatwave - again, wonder what flo would have done with it
    These are great suggestions. I could definitely hear Flo doing "Too Hot" and "Right Way".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Nope! Those records would not have been anything without Mary Wilson. She gives them a spark. She sang full lead on He's My Man in my opinion.
    Nope! Mary's vocals were flat and uninspiring. Totally unsuited to those songs, and the public agreed. Scherrie may well have made the difference between hit and flop on the pop charts.