[REMOVE ADS]

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for that info, Roger. I recall Mark Adams being miffed that other bassists were trying to sound like him at the time, so I assumed that the best example of it was the Odyssey record. There's been a lot of discussion among bass aficionados about it and for some reason, nobody associated with the track will confirm or deny who it was. Here's something that I found on the web that indicates that it was not Adams:

It was around the 1982 that Slave began to venture outside the Slave Organization, from a musical standpoint. Jimmy Douglas who produced their debut album also produced Odyssey’s track “Inside Out”. From the minute I heard it, I knew that the members from Slave were on this track. Obviously the track is a bite off of “Watching You”. The odd thing [[I just found out today), is that there was differences of opinion in the bass guitar community regarding who actually bass on this track – Mark or another bassist trying to cop Mark’s style. Here’s a thread from prince.org that talks that controversy.

Here’s what Curt Jones of Aurra had to say to me:

Hey brother, I wasn’t involved in that, by then we were either working on or had released Are U Single. The sound of the bass is unmistakably Mark Adams, his sound and touch was unique. Sorry i think the only one who really knows all about that is Jimmy Douglas.
    Stay well brotha. Peace.
    Here’s the video, take a listen: “Inside Out”.

Note: It has been confirmed to me via written dialogue [[indirectly), by an ex-member of Slave, that it was NOT Mark Adams on “Inside Out”, but bassist Sandy Anderson from Unlimited Touch. Why Jimmy Douglas chose Sandy and not Mark is [[now) a story only Jimmy [[probably) can confirm. My final say on it…if you listen close enough [[especially on the bass solo breakdown), you will hear that it is not “the great Mark Adams”.
    BTW, this sort of conversation is why I love this forum. Wish we had more of it.
    Last edited by Jerry Oz; 01-23-2018 at 04:03 PM.