Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
I agree with you, luke. It's All Been Said Before was not one of my favorites on the album. I think the key is too high for Scherrie and she sounds a bit shrill in a couple of places. I don't think it would have done any better than He's My Man, which was very popular in the DC area. I think the problem with Bend A Little is that it didn't really sound like anything else on that album. That said, I think it's a killer song. I would have included the 3 lead version of Sha La Bandit on the LP. I think that would have fit right in.

I am also on the Pop side of Floy Joy. I think the entire Floy Joy album was a Smokey Pop masterpiece. I got excited because after Floy Joy started climbing the charts, my local music store actually carried the sheet music for it!
"It's All Been Said Before" was just another album cut to me. "He's My Man" sounded fresh and the fact that it had 2 of the ladies singing the lead reminded me of the O'Jays with Eddie and Walter.

The "Floy Joy" album was excellent from start to finish in my opinion. Smokey outdid himself.