Quote Originally Posted by robb_k View Post
Originally Posted by soulster
The good old days weren't always so good.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  21.1 KB
Will you really, 144man?

And how good were race relations back in "Our Good Old Days"? I remember [[while visiting The Chicago Area in 1951) that our family wasn't allowed on certain public beaches in Indiana - and we were "Caucasians". Imagine how I'd feel about those "Good Old Days" if I were an African-American?

I carried a switchblade to junior high school, because some of the Ukrainian gang or bully types would jump us Jews on the way to or from school [[ostensibly because some of our ancestors killed their "god" [[who, incidentally, was a Jew, himself, who they'd have jumped and attempted to beat up [[I guess????)). And that was in benign Canada, whose race relations were much less nasty than those in USA.

And if you're British, and such race relations as these don't apply [[which i can't imagine, as The British upper classes have always been terribly racist), how did you like having to constantly toss an half crown into the box to get a little more heat on a freezing winter night? [[or do you STILL have to do that?

Like all places on Earth and all times, there were good and bad things. Whether the overall experience could be more positive than negative, or better or worse than another time depends upon one's values [[and memory).

Personally, I enjoy my life more now than I did in the good old days. But, I would not want to be growing up now, because The World is way too bizarre. I identify much more with the 1940s through 1960s. But it may have been a tougher life to get through back then as compared to now. But, perhaps it was more rewarding to do so.

Most people I know identify with the period of their teens or their 20s. A few identify with their early 30s. Their "good old days" almost always come from those times, regardless of whether or not they "enjoyed" other times better.
Robb, you make many good points. As children in the sixties, my brothers and sister did not come directly in contact with racism. We were even in Mississippi that summer of '64 when Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner were murdered. We were in Memphis 2 months after MLK was assassinated in '68......Heck we were in Kent, OH one month after the students were killed at Kent State in '70 and did not realized how close to history we were.