[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Remember when?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Which reminds me--

Is it really necessary when you leave money for the meal in a folder/booklet given to you by the wait staff to be asked if you want change? The wait staff should really not ask that question and if they want to assume anything, assume that the customer does want change. The customer can decide to say that everything's set and no change needed. But for the customer to be asked for what's due back? I never appreciate that one.

Of a more problematic nature--

Let's say the bill for the meal is $17.65. You leave a $20 bill for the waiter, expecting $2.35 change. But instead, the waiter brings you $2. Totally unacceptable. It is acceptable for the waiter to round-off the change amount--but only if the rounding-off is at the advantage of the customer. In my example, rounding-off to $3 as the change is what can be done if the waiter wants to round-off. Rounding-off to the advantage of the restaurant [[$2) is categorically inappropriate--alright, I'll say it: It's wrong. I know the 35 cents is a very minimal amount--but the amount is inconsequential. Rounding-off to the advantage of the restaurant--no matter how small the amount might be--amounts simply to one thing: Over-charging the customer. If I appreciated the service, it'll be reflected in the tip and in my parting remark to the waiter. For the waiter to take out more for their own convenience or for the restaurant's? Forget it.
    Last edited by Methuselah2; 08-20-2015 at 04:18 PM.