I still walk on the street side of female companions although that is obviously not something that is considered appropriate anymore. I open doors for women, even when I have to wait a few seconds for them to catch up [[and knowing that they're going to beat me to the service desk). It was only recently that I stopped taking my hats or caps off in elevators because I was often the only one in a crowd who did.

I'm not sure how it is across the pond but civility and what used to be known as social manners has all but evaporated in the US.

As far as attire, I'm wondering more and more why men and women dress so differently. Men's suits seem to be overly designed for the purpose they serve and dresses are curious. I love legs but I can't discern why fashion has evolved into 'menswear' and 'ladieswear'. I guess it's the human version of plumage.

When I entered management 35 years ago, I was required to wear a tie at all places in the warehouse. Soon after, ties were forbidden. I suppose somebody had his tie caught in a conveyor and was either throttled or had a scare that forced the company to reconsider whether they wanted to present that image for managers.