[REMOVE ADS]

Need Help-You Keep Me Hangin' On

In my old age I am getting more and more forgetful.

The version of You Keep Me Hangin' On which feature Flo behind Diana through the whole song appeared in 1971 on The Motown Story. I knew this version was released on one of the many compilations. Can someone remind me which one it is on? Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    In my old age I am getting more and more forgetful.

The version of You Keep Me Hangin' On which feature Flo behind Diana through the whole song appeared in 1971 on The Motown Story. I knew this version was released on one of the many compilations. Can someone remind me which one it is on? Many thanks

LOLOL Welcome to the club!

I know about that one but I thought this version has been issued on one of the Supremes many CD compilations

It has been. I don't know which one but it was released again. I think the fans caught Harry's attention on it way back.

Maybe on the BoxSet? or the 50th Anniversary Set?

It's on the Pink Boxed Set from 2000.
    Edit: It's hard to hear on the 50th Ann. Set due to the double layering of Diana's voice, but it might also be on the 50th Ann. Set.
    Last edited by thanxal; 02-13-2015 at 06:11 PM.

It's on the Orange Supremes Playlist 3cd set from 2008Name:  playlist plus.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  40.3 KB
    Last edited by soulballad; 02-13-2015 at 11:07 PM.

It was the most popular version for sure. The interplay of the Ross Ballard voices was a big deal to Motown/Supremes/Ross Fans.

The first I ever heard that mix is on a Rhino Billboard Top R&B Hits: 1966. It was released in 1990. It is sadly OOP.
    Name:  968full-billboard-top-r&b-h.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  40.8 KB

i thought it's a Diana double vocal take on this song. it was rumored for years that it was Flo but i think in the Reflections dvd if you turn on the "pop up video commentary" lol it says it's a dual Diana track.

there are multiple versions of this song. the lp and single i think are about the same. then i have a box set from the 70s that has a different version, more Oooo Oooo Oooo in the backgrounds and then the unedited backgrounds in the ending with M and F singing the chorus over and over. then the version on the #1 cd with the unedited middle chorus and the stop ending.

i'm sure there are others too

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i thought it's a Diana double vocal take on this song. it was rumored for years that it was Flo but i think in the Reflections dvd if you turn on the "pop up video commentary" lol it says it's a dual Diana track.

there are multiple versions of this song. the lp and single i think are about the same. then i have a box set from the 70s that has a different version, more Oooo Oooo Oooo in the backgrounds and then the unedited backgrounds in the ending with M and F singing the chorus over and over. then the version on the #1 cd with the unedited middle chorus and the stop ending.

i'm sure there are others too
    I think you are right. There are versions with a double layering of Diana. I think the 50 Ann set is this but i can hear Flo distinctly in the 2000 set.

well the weather is getting crummy here in Atlanta so what better thing to do than sit inside and cue up all the version of YKMHO and note the differences pour a glass of wine and enjoy

ok here's an update on versions

Single/lp version/Greatest Hits - these are the same. clocking in between 2:42 and 2:48
    motown story - this is the unedited backgrounds but with the shortened bridge and no stop ending

#1 - this is the longest version with the unedited bridge and stop ending. but with the edited backgrounds

Anthology 2002 - this is an alt version of the motown story version. it's the longer version with the unedited bridge but the backgrounds are edited until the second verse and then they bring them back in

Here's a challenge to all. I just listened to the Karaoke version of You Keep Me Hangin' On which features the instrumental and backing vocals.

I simply do not hear Mary Wilson or any other voice but Flo's on backing vocals and she tears it up

the mystery deepens! lol

if you listen to the released versions, it's clear there are 2 voices doing the Ooo's and backgrounds. but Flo is definitely belting it out and most prominent. Like how on Where Did our love Go - i can barely hear any flo on that background