[REMOVE ADS]

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well lets not leave out some other "Disco" tunes like "Miss You" by the Stones ,"When Love Is New" by Arthur Prysock ,"Disco Lucy" ,"Get Dancin" by Disco Tex and his Sex o Letts and "I Love N.Y." among others that were introduced into the existing "Dance/R&B" playlist ,and IMO created that start of the "Disco" influence in the dance music culture. The introduction of Popular and Rock and Roll artists into the predominately R&B /Dance genre is what created the craze component of Disco. The Pop artists like Cher ,Debbie Harry ,The Stones ,Frankie Valli ,Yes [[!!!) David Bowie, Elton Johns Philly sessions etc ,that were not in the R&B Dance music field originally ,were mixed with the R&B formula, and created a wider audience ,that may not have been in tune to the predominent R&B/Funk sound of "Party" music but now had names to identify with. Following S.N.F was T.G.I.F. ,[[oy vay!!).
    I was into Yes ,as a Rock group ,but when "Owner Of A Lonley Heart" was released ,I was flabbergasted ,I mean you've got to be kidding me. Some novelty productions are fine ,but then IMO they have they place in the genre ,but true R&B/ Funk/Dance was still being made at that time such as ,Instant Funks "Got My Mind Made Up" ,Rhyze "Just How Sweet Is Your Love", Leroy Burgess "Lets Do It" and others that were played in the same clubs with those other "Disco" tracks and yet they were lumped into that "Disco" mindset ,although they were still truthfully straight up Dance oriented Funk/R&B tracks. Bunny Sigler's Instant Funk and Leroy Burgess ,just ain't "Disco". Funky is Funky ,Funky "like" is just what it is ,something that has Funk/Dance/R&B elements. Even lush productions like CHIC and Barry Whites , had specific parts that were lush and full in instrumentation ,but were written with parts that were intended to be stripped down to the basic Funky core.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyacey View Post
    Well lets not leave out some other "Disco" tunes like "Miss You" by the Stones ,"When Love Is New" by Arthur Prysock ,"Disco Lucy" ,"Get Dancin" by Disco Tex and his Sex o Letts and "I Love N.Y." among others that were introduced into the existing "Dance/R&B" playlist ,and IMO created that start of the "Disco" influence in the dance music culture. The introduction of Popular and Rock and Roll artists into the predominately R&B /Dance genre is what created the craze component of Disco. The Pop artists like Cher ,Debbie Harry ,The Stones ,Frankie Valli ,Yes [[!!!) David Bowie, Elton Johns Philly sessions etc ,that were not in the R&B Dance music field originally ,were mixed with the R&B formula, and created a wider audience ,that may not have been in tune to the predominent R&B/Funk sound of "Party" music but now had names to identify with. Following S.N.F was T.G.I.F. ,[[oy vay!!).
    I was into Yes ,as a Rock group ,but when "Owner Of A Lonley Heart" was released ,I was flabbergasted ,I mean you've got to be kidding me. Some novelty productions are fine ,but then IMO they have they place in the genre ,but true R&B/ Funk/Dance was still being made at that time such as ,Instant Funks "Got My Mind Made Up" ,Rhyze "Just How Sweet Is Your Love", Leroy Burgess "Lets Do It" and others that were played in the same clubs with those other "Disco" tracks and yet they were lumped into that "Disco" mindset ,although they were still truthfully straight up Dance oriented Funk/R&B tracks. Bunny Sigler's Instant Funk and Leroy Burgess ,just ain't "Disco". Funky is Funky ,Funky "like" is just what it is ,something that has Funk/Dance/R&B elements. Even lush productions like CHIC and Barry Whites , had specific parts that were lush and full in instrumentation ,but were written with parts that were intended to be stripped down to the basic Funky core.

Daddyacey, the infusion of rock acts didn't start tghe craze. Bands like the Rolling Stones, Kiss, and Rod Stewart didn't create their hits until 1979, around disco's peak.

Quote Originally Posted by soulster View Post
    Daddyacey, the infusion of rock acts didn't start tghe craze. Bands like the Rolling Stones, Kiss, and Rod Stewart didn't create their hits until 1979, around disco's peak.
    Well close. The Rolling Stones were pretty much a part of the mix at the right time, Summer of 1978 with "Miss You". The others, you're right got into the mix a little later in '79 and you can add Marvin Gaye, Cher, Mary Wilson etc, although not Rock Acts, but established acts that got in late in the "disco" craze.