[REMOVE ADS]

mary wells question

i was putting my 60's show together and i ran across the amazing two lovers history song. i played this song about 7 times, i remember someone post a video performance on youtube, but it's no longer there. anyway, my question is who were the musicians on this track? were the meters involved on this track? that guitar twang in the beginning sounds like their guitarist[[i don't know his name)and the horns sound like they're from memphis[[like some of bobby womack early stuff has anyone else notice that? )i'm sure someone here have deatail and i'm curious to find out, thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by the_classic_master View Post
    i was putting my 60's show together and i ran across the amazing two lovers history song. i played this song about 7 times, i remember someone post a video performance on youtube, but it's no longer there. anyway, my question is who were the musicians on this track? were the meters involved on this track? that guitar twang in the beginning sounds like their guitarist[[i don't know his name)and the horns sound like they're from memphis[[like some of bobby womack early stuff has anyone else notice that? )i'm sure someone here have deatail and i'm curious to find out, thanks in advance!
    Two Lovers History was co-written by Mary Wells and although it shows a southern soul influence. I believe it was recorded in New York City in 1968 where Mary was based at the time. The guitarist on the record is probably her then-husband at the time Cecil Womack. Cecil trails Mary's vocals on the song, so it has that Bobby Womack or Womack brothers feel. Two Lovers History was the B-side of The Doctor and it appears on Mary's album Servin' Up Some Soul released on Jubilee Records.
    The entire album was good - in my opinion- one of Mary's best because she co-wrote most of the songs and got back to the basics-a more soulful approach. I thought the music was heavily influenced by not only the Womacks, but by Sam Cooke & Curtis Mayfield as well.
    Randy or Tony Russi, the forum's other Mary Wells experts, can probably supply more details if they see this thread.
    Last edited by Kamasu_Jr; 10-22-2010 at 03:55 PM.

Well,kamasu is correct. Two Lovers History was written by Mary and Cecil Womack and featured as the B side of her
    first Jubilee single, The Doctor, also written by Mary and Cecil. It is a very well produced record and received heavy
    airplay in southern soul areas. Cecil and Mary later produced the song on the Valentinos, which featured Curtis
    on lead and was issued on 45rpm on Jubilee.
    I think Two Lovers History was her best non-Motown work. It could've been and should've been a monster hit.

By the way, kamasu is also right that the recording was done in NYC, March 1968.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Well,kamasu is correct. Two Lovers History was written by Mary and Cecil Womack and featured as the B side of her
    first Jubilee single, The Doctor, also written by Mary and Cecil. It is a very well produced record and received heavy
    airplay in southern soul areas. Cecil and Mary later produced the song on the Valentinos, which featured Curtis
    on lead and was issued on 45rpm on Jubilee.
    I learned something Randy. I didn't know the Valentinos covered Two Lovers History. I've never heard their version.

Yes, it is also produced by Mary & Cecil. Mary & Cecil also wrote/produced another Jubilee single for the Valentinos
    called Tired Of Being A Nobody b/w The Death Of Love.
    I can't recall the B side of Two Lovers History by the Valentinos, however.

topdiva1 Guest
    I understand that Mary Wells was a very nice person to her fans.

topdiva1 Guest
    Thanks for posting this - what a shame how the companies did her in the end. She was a great star in her day.

Mary Wells was THE best with her fans. I was lucky enough to meet her on several occasions when she toured England and she always made time to meet us. Such a lovely person indeed.

Peter Benjaminson's book on Mary is in the final stages, but probably won't be available until the fall 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by randy_russi View Post
    Peter Benjaminson's book on Mary is in the final stages, but probably won't be available until the fall 2011.
    I'm looking forward to the Benjaminson biography. Hopefully Hio O will do for Mary Wells what it did for Tammi Terrell and reissue her Motown albums. We're also trying to get the producers of UNSUNG interested in doing a profile on Mary & Carla Thomas, two unsung ladies of soul if there ever were.

Mary and Cecil did a lot of compositions and productions, particularly for the Valentinos. Mary also co-wrote their "Sweeter than the Day Before".

Mary & Cecil also wrote "Superstar" recorded by Bobby Womack on his "Check It Out" lp for United Artists in '74.

Also by Mary & Cecil:

Dee Dee Sharp--Just As Long As I Know You're Mine

Laura Lee--Sat-Is-Fac-Tion

David Oliver--Summer Love

Quote Originally Posted by midnightman View Post
    Mary and Cecil did a lot of compositions and productions, particularly for the Valentinos. Mary also co-wrote their "Sweeter than the Day Before".
    WOW! i loved that song! i just got hip to that song a few years ago. she's more talented than i thought. i'm really looking forward to this book of hers.

Well, as I think everyone knows, Mary wrote her first single, "Bye Bye Baby", as well as several lp cuts on Motown--
    "Drifting Love" on "The One Who Really Loves You" lp and "Stop Right Here" on the Two Lovers lp. The latter was
    cowritten with Melvin Franklin of the Temptations.
    She and Cecil also wrote her best single on the Atco label, "Set My Soul On Fire" and its B side "Coming Home".
    This single should have been a HUGE hit for her, but received no promotion from the Atlantic group.
    However, it did hit the top ten in Singapore.

Mary and Cecil also co-wrote "The Doctor".

Yes, they wrote all her Jubilee singles and lp cuts as well:
    Can't Get Away From Your Love
    Woman In Love
    Don't Look Back
    Never Give A Man The World
    Mind Reader
    Dig The Way I Feel
    Love Shooting Bandit
    Sweet Love
    It Must Be
    Mr. Tough
    Hold On
    Sometimes I Wonder
    Love & Tranquility

They also wrote "I'm Changing My Ways" which was on the Epic lp, but Mary & Cecil had recorded and produced
    an earlier version which was far superior to the one issued on the Epic album produced by Greg Perry.

Of course, there are many, many unreleased recordings as well as published songs co-written, which were
    published by their own Welwom Publishing.

Cool. They wrote a bunch of stuff.