[REMOVE ADS]

Philadelphia International: The Roots [CD+DVD]

Amazon UK has a release date of june 18, 2012 but no info on the content.

Who has any details?

S.O.S.!!!!
    WE WANT TO KNOW THE TRACK-LIST OF THIS PHILLY ROOTS CD!!

[[I can't sleep... perhaps there will be most significant Neptune and Gamble singles? Perhaps the most relevant North Bay, Huff-Puff stuff?... perhaps the G & H and Thom Bell 60's outside productions as Jerry Butler, Delfonics and more obscure acts...?)

Quote Originally Posted by manny View Post
    S.O.S.!!!!
    WE WANT TO KNOW THE TRACK-LIST OF THIS PHILLY ROOTS CD!!

[[I can't sleep... perhaps there will be most significant Neptune and Gamble singles? Perhaps the most relevant North Bay, Huff-Puff stuff?... perhaps the G & H and Thom Bell 60's outside productions as Jerry Butler, Delfonics and more obscure acts...?)
    Sounds as if it has been compiled by Richard Searling and DVD is a Kenny Gamble interview but that is only other information I can glean so far

According to Amazon it's a Harmless Records release, so maybe SDF poster Ian Dewhirst can shed some light on it?

I'd guess its tracks that G & H worked on prior to Neptune, Philly Int & the later Gamble releases .....
    ... perhaps early Gamble label & Huff Puff tracks [[+ similar 'little label' things that G&H had a hand in).
    I know that RS & Ralph Tee discussed Doris Troy's "I'll Do Anything" with G&H [[there's an unissued Gamble version of the song by Dee Dee Sharp by all accounts), so I'd think that a version of that song will be on the proposed CD.
    I'd say it WILL NOT include stuff that G & H worked on that was released on Arctic as I know a big Arctic Records Box CD set is about to come out separately [[from a US source who controls those master tapes).

I have been exploring Soulful Detroit and also Soul Source, where Ian Dewhirst use to write posts... But, sadly, he don't says nothing new about this question. It is some absurd if really June, 18 the CD's will be available that there's not a track list...!
    Thanks Amithesameboy and smith... you make me feel like not the only one fool - obsessed with the philly-sound drug!!

This release is not even on the website for Harmless Records [[Demon) I have tried to contact Richard Searling with no success, we used to get on so well in the days he worked for RCA, you could always rely on Richard whenever he came into the radio station I worked at one of his first calls would be to bring up to me new material always soul he knew I would be interested in and push.

Richard does some amazing radio shows for Smooth Radio in the UK, one on the 9 June, dedicated to Motown.

I have been exploring Soulful Detroit and also Soul Source, where Ian Dewhirst use to write posts... But, sadly, he don't says nothing new about this question. It is some absurd if really June, 18 the CD's will be available that there's not a track list...!
    Thanks Amithesameboy and smith... you make me feel like not the only one fool - obsessed with the philly-sound drug!!

Chances of this being released on June 18th must be about zero and other website searches I have made over last day or so would suggest it was originally scheduled to come out in January. I have been unable to glean any more information about the tracks and I fervently hope it DOES come out but sounds as if we need to be more patient.

Lots of Harmless [[& other soul reissue labels) releases slip back in release date due to extra work required in finalising 'licensing issues' or due to extra work involved in the re-mastering of tracks.
    No doubt sound consistency [[volume levels, etc) for tracks that have been gathered in from various difference US source labels is a major issue. As is the fact that some master tapes have gone walkabout & so a clean vinyl copy has to be used as the CD track source.
    So there are loads of reasons that can cause release dates to slip back ....... at present I'm really getting working up about the 'slippage' on the date I can expect to receive a copy of Harmless'es 2fer Jewel gospel CD package .... it's slipped back 2/3 weeks already & is now said to be out at towards the end of this month .... really hope it does meet its new release date.
    I know this un [[the gospel CD) is close to its release date as promo copies have reached the reviewers; guess the Philly Roots CD has a 'way to go' yet.

Hi again

Somebody knows something about "The Roots" CD / DVD? June, 18 is at the corner... [[arf!)

And speaking of gospel, what about the re-realise on CD of the two TSOP College Triennial Gospel Festival albums? Or a compilation of the best of the gospel realises, including Louise Williams, ted Wortham, Brokington Singers, Dandridge Choir Ensemble and the best of the Peace International subsidiary...?

Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Various Artists "Philadelphia International: The Roots"
    Estimated arrival date: June 28 2012 - July 07 2012

One of Amazon's aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we have fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

You haven't been charged for this item yet as we don't debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We'll send you a confirmation e-mail when your items are dispatched to confirm the date, contents and method of delivery.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    Hello,

We regret to inform you that the following items have been delayed as we are still awaiting stock from our suppliers :

Estimated arrival date: June 28 2012 - July 07 2012

One of Amazon's aims is to provide a convenient and efficient service; in this case, we have fallen short. Please accept our sincere apologies.

You haven't been charged for this item yet as we don't debit money from your payment card until just before your items are dispatched. We'll send you a confirmation e-mail when your items are dispatched to confirm the date, contents and method of delivery.

Warmest regards,

And it still seems impossible to get any news about the track data ! Can' t someone get a message to Ian Dewhirst or someone else who would be in the know ?

Ian send me an e-mail about the shipping of the replacement cd-8 of the Philly Box Set to which I replied with the question about contents of the Roots, but no answer so far...

This seems a X expedient...

Hello,

Estimated arrival date: July 28 2012 - August 07 2012

Warmest regards,

Same message here....

5 times I've replied and 5 times the site has locked me out. It's on hold guys. Would say more but I can only get short messages in on here....

Ian D

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Dewhirst View Post
    5 times I've replied and 5 times the site has locked me out. It's on hold guys. Would say more but I can only get short messages in on here....

Ian D

Ian, a thought, given you are having problems on this site : why not post what you want to say on the soul source website which doesnt seem to have any problems for you. Many of us read that site as well.

I keep on believe that the track list can be interesting for a true Phillysound lover... Despite the fact I have the two volumes by UK Jazz-Soul label entitled "Philadelphia Roots" [[vols. 1 & 2) on wich there is included most of the relevant stuff by Gamble, Phil LA of Soul - Jamie / Guyden, and some Neptune singles [[Music Makers, Panic Buttons, Three Degrees,...) I hope that this another one will made justice to some other good stuff from the "roots" [[Bobby Marchan, Jaggerz, Oliver Bush, Linda Jones,...) and, perhaps some of the earlier work by G & H and Thom bell as free-lance producers for Shout, Atlantic or Scepter [[Freddie Scott, Sweet Inspirations, Dee Dee Warwick, ...)

Keep the Faith!!

Estimated arrival date: August 11 2012 - August 22 2012

Warmest regards,

Amazon.co.uk
    http://www.amazon.co.uk

Estimated arrival date: August 11 2012 - August 22 2012

Warmest regards,

Amazon.co.uk
    All my instincts tell me that there is very little chance of this one appearing in 2012.

I dunno. I'm back @ work next week, so let's see how the land lies then. The Richard Searling/Kenny Gamble interview should be edited by then as well touch wood!

Ian D

Haven't had my replacement Disc 8 yet

Hello,

We regret to inform you that your order will take longer to fulfill than originally estimated. Our supplier has notified us that there is a delay obtaining stock for the following items you ordered on June 02 2012.

We are awaiting a revised estimate from our supplier, and will email you as soon as we receive this information.

If you would prefer to cancel the item, please visit Your Account on the link below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/css/orde...326779-0883522

Warmest regards,

Amazon.co.uk

Please note: This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Not sure why it was ever listed, I received the same message!

These kind of things don't happens with the motown-fans... The philly-fans always have to wait the reeditions, the extra editions, the always pos-possed issue of rare and / or previously unissued stuff,... This is a great "discrimination".

Temporarily shelved fellas. Contractual stuff unfortunately. You guys will have to make do with the forthcoming 6 CD Arctic set coming in October. Some seriously good unissued stuff is being found on those tapes!

Ian D

These kind of things don't happens with the motown-fans... The philly-fans always have to wait the reeditions, the extra editions, the always pos-possed issue of rare and / or previously unissued stuff,... This is a great "discrimination".
    It's not discrimination Manny, don't be ridiculous. Many people have tried to get at the PIR tapes for years but there are all sorts of logistical, financial and contractual situations involved so it's not an easy task. Plus retreiving, shipping, baking and digitising tapes is an expensive process for archive repertoire. It could cost more then the release may ever make for a start. PIR is an independent company which makes it's own decisions and there may be numerous reasons why they're not in a hurry. Only time will tell.

Ian D

I'd like to have a CD of some of Gamble & Huff's early productions, when they were still independents [[Gamble & Neptune) or hired guns for labels like Atlantic and Spring. I'm waiting for a price discount on the Philly Anniversary box set. There wasn't much on it that I have not heard millions of times before or was much i'nterested in.

Hi, Ian

Obviously, as I have use the -"- character, I says "discrimination" as a ironical word... Is like I says "I can have decided to likes the music of Motown more than the music of PIR" [[that's were also ridiculous; we likes that we likes, simply...and "stoically" accept the consequences... I knows, from the beginning I started posting here grace to the comments by folks like Tom Moulton and you, that, first and most important, about the unissued stuff, Gamble & Huff are both highly exigents with the quality of the music and the conditions of the masters. For this fundamental reason, perhaps, we never see those unissued stuff as the ones by dennis Edwards, Ron Tyson, Manhattans, stephanie Mills, darlene Love [[if she really recorded something before Phil Spector Buyed her contract?),... as some stuff by "only one official album PIR artists" [[the second Lp's by Anthony White, Silk,...)...

Simply, I admires a lot the hard work by folks like you on Harmless, Jazz-Soul, Westside,... simply I found envoy able the situation of Motown fans in comparison [[and, I have said before, I'm also a Stax and some Motown stuff fanatic).

Best regards

Hi, Ian

Obviously, as I have use the -"- character, I says "discrimination" as a ironical word... Is like I says "I can have decided to likes the music of Motown more than the music of PIR" [[that's were also ridiculous; we likes that we likes, simply...and "stoically" accept the consequences... I knows, from the beginning I started posting here grace to the comments by folks like Tom Moulton and you, that, first and most important, about the unissued stuff, Gamble & Huff are both highly exigents with the quality of the music and the conditions of the masters. For this fundamental reason, perhaps, we never see those unissued stuff as the ones by dennis Edwards, Ron Tyson, Manhattans, stephanie Mills, darlene Love [[if she really recorded something before Phil Spector Buyed her contract?),... as some stuff by "only one official album PIR artists" [[the second Lp's by Anthony White, Silk,...)...

Simply, I admires a lot the hard work by folks like you on Harmless, Jazz-Soul, Westside,... simply I found envoy able the situation of Motown fans in comparison [[and, I have said before, I'm also a Stax and some Motown stuff fanatic).

Best regards
    Well, I'm jealous as hell about the access that the good folk @ Universal have to the masters of the catalogues they own, which is why there's been a good ramp of interesting Motown releases over the years - once you buy a catalogue and own it, then a decent amount of resource goes into logging it all, digitising it, storing the masters and eventually exploiting it.

The labels which Demon license, whilst great, are still fairly inaccessible in terms of someone investing in travelling to the U.S., going through the masters, finding some great stuff and then dealing with baking, transportation, studio, legal costs etc, etc.

If you're lucky enough to actually own the label, then presumably there's a much bigger incentive to dig through everything. The trouble is many labels make enough income from maybe 2% of their masters, so they think why bother with an expensive restoration project which will probably only sell a couple of thousand copies. That's probably the biggest problem along with contractual and legal stuff which may open a can of worms.

If somebody here fancies financing me to the tune of 50 million dollars I'll buy up some of the key catalogues and really get to work!

Ian D

Hi again, Ian
    many thanks for your explanations. Hope some day you find financiation for to do what you really loves to do. BTW, what was exactly the reason why of the changes on the volume 3 of the 40th Anniversary box set? I refer to the first track-list published in some web-stores [[before the box was published) that contained some Talk of The Town and the Elliot Hoffman track and later the track list was changed. Is for these same problems? I have heard "Another World" in some samples [[on "Soul Source" and Youtube) and despite the poor quality of the sound, the song is simply FANTASTIC!. Thanks again and Best Regards.

Hello,

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007O3VOD8

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order #203-0326779-0883522 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

You may visit the product detail page[[s) above to see if these item[[s) are available from other sellers.

To view the current status and the costs associated with your order, please visit Your Account [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/your-account).

Warmest regards,

Amazon.co.uk

Hello,

We regret to inform you that we have been unable to source the following item:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007O3VOD8

Our supplier has informed us that this item is no longer available. This item has now been cancelled from your order #203-0326779-0883522 and we can confirm that you have not been charged for it.

We apologise for the length of time it has taken us to reach this conclusion. Until recently, we had still hoped to obtain this item for you.

You may visit the product detail page[[s) above to see if these item[[s) are available from other sellers.

To view the current status and the costs associated with your order, please visit Your Account [[http://www.amazon.co.uk/your-account).

Warmest regards,

Amazon.co.uk
    I am DEVASTATED. How will I live without a remastered "At The Top Of The Stairs" by The Formations alongside Patty's remixed "Mixed Up Shook Up Girl" and a few gems from Candy & her Kisses?

PS: If I come across 50 million dollars, I will buy the freakin' licenses myself and package them MYSELF!

Quote Originally Posted by JimBagley View Post
    I am DEVASTATED. How will I live without a remastered "At The Top Of The Stairs" by The Formations alongside Patty's remixed "Mixed Up Shook Up Girl" and a few gems from Candy & her Kisses?

PS: If I come across 50 million dollars, I will buy the freakin' licenses myself and package them MYSELF!
    LOL, it's the 50 million dollars that's the hard bit. Hopefully there may be some news on the Roots project in the new year touch wood.

Ian D