[REMOVE ADS]

Cool Curtis Mayfield from a jazz perspective...

Stevie Wonder's music remains the most interpreted of black soul and R&B
    artists but following the leads of cats like Herbie Hancock, Don Byron and Cassandra Wilson more and more jazz musicians are revisiting the compositions of people whose names were not Lennon- McCartney and I think
    it's about time. Happily, the Jazz Soul Seven a collective which Ms M probably
    knows, features Teri Lynne Carrington on drums, has taken on the music of
    Curtis Mayfield which almost everyone has ignored or overlooked for so many
    years. And what they've created, I love...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyDxMXfr8ao

Don Byron, btw, did a great job with Jr Walker's work; I'm hoping other artists
    are paying attention...

I rarely bump a thread I've started but I can't believe all the jazz lovers have left the forum...Maybe I'm wrong....

Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    I rarely bump a thread I've started but I can't believe all the jazz lovers have left the forum...Maybe I'm wrong....
    Hope you're wrong, dear Splanky... One of the reasons why I likes this forum is for his eclecticism about not only all kinds of "black" music, but also classical, folk, rock related topics. Jazz and fusion is, jointly with 70's "symphonic soul" my main interest. I think MFSB cover of "Freddie's Dead" is a good example of jazz [[or jazz-fussion) cover from a Mayfield track. I likes a lot the tempo changing and the Montana's nice vibes.

Perhaps the most covered soul tunes by jazz and jazz-fusion artists are the ones by Thom Bell, as the classic "People Makes The World Go Round" covered by so many jazz artists. My fave is the one by CTI All-Stars recorded live in L.A.