Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
I agree, the average person is casual when it comes to pop music, and Motown did nothing to reach them with the news..people sitting in their living room when Sullivan said Ross was leaving the group, do you think the average person sitting on the couch was hanging on Ed's every word?..I was, but even then, I knew most people weren't; there wasn't a TV special celebrating this event [[and "Farewell" SHOULD have been on tv, but there was very little attention paid, and the "Farewell" album, as I recall, DIDN'T sell)..
the average yokel had been brainwashed with the name "Diana Ross & The Supremes" since 1967, so, by 1970,anything Supremes to the average yokel would always be attached to Ross, unless a huge campaign took place, and it didn't..
I don't remember Ross or Terrell being trotted up to NY Top 40 radio to announce/discuss the change, nocover photos on magazines like "Life" Or "Look" or any mainstream media, or even Rolling Stone, etc paying attention..
Motown DID NOT push this event, not to the mainstream public, not really,, they didn't

I understand what you are saying and agree. I do believe that Look Magazine ran a cover story on Ross before she went solo but mentioned that she would be going solo. I know Time ran articles about the New Supremes and of Ross new solo concerts. Ebony did a cover story and Dick Clark showed clips from the farewell concert on American Bandstand. It was a big entertainment news story in 1969-70. The most successful American music act was breaking up. If you were around back then, how could you not know? LOL? I am not asking that last question of Jimi, rhetorically speaking I mean.