Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
My question is, what DID Jean want to sing? It sounds like she wanted to ditch the MOR and showtunes. She reluctantly sang the Diana lead hits, as that's what the audience that came to see "The Supremes" wanted to hear. So what's left? There's been few instances where an LP cut was performed live. So I don't know what she wanted to fill a show with. Covers by the Carpenters?
my guess is her frustration with doing the 60s material was 1) the unfair but unavoidable comparisons with Diana 2) when they were almost doing more DRATS content than her own. by late 72 and into 73 they were doing 2 60s medleys and then maybe just Stoned Love and Bad Weather. 3) her overall disappointment with motown and how they were doing nothing to support her

and then they dumped most of the additional material that had been added during the Jean years [[feeling good, love the one you're with, love story, we've only just begun) and brought back DRATS songs [[somewhere, tcb, you're nobody)

so it would lead me to believe that she wanted to do more contemporary songs, more of her hits, more of her album material.