I revisited this excellent lp and just wanted to share my thoughts and get other opinions on it.

The 4 Tops had rebounded nicely in 1970 with the Still Waters Run Deep lp, which is their second most successful studio album. It was a concept set by Frank Wilson and each song on that album had single potential. It was a slow burn success as the two singles culled from the album helped propel sales. Also, FM radio really took to the album. Frank Wilson had found a new sound and concept on the group. And they were once again Hot!

Likewise, the followup set, Changing Times, released in the fall of 1970 is another collection of funk and soul tracks on the group. The problem with it not achieving much success was that it was hurriedly issued while the Still Waters album was still selling big. Add to this, was the companion piece, The Magnificent 7 duets with the Supremes issued at the same time. This was simply too much product at a delicate time for the group. After a two year dry period, Still Waters brought the Tops back into the mainstream. At Motown they were tarnished by the huge success Norman Whitfield was having with The Temptations. The 4 Tops fell to B-level artists after HDH left. More care should have been given to the timing of these releases. This is especially true when considering that a first single off the album was not issued til nearly two months after the lp hit the streets.

Changing Times is another solid effort. Side A is chock full of single potential songs. Their Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head ranks up their with MacArthur Park in terms of production values and quality. Though Side B is not as potential, it is still enjoyable.

My only complaint was the selection of Just 7 Numbers as the first single. After the glorious productions of It's All In The Game and Still Water [[Love), this song just prods along with a clunky kind of sound. I think the title track should have been the first single. In These Changing Times is a gorgeous song, minus all the sound effects at the beginning. Another inspired Levi Stubbs vocal. Right Before My Eyes should have been the second single. Very upbeat and danceable. If both these tracks had been successful then maybe a remix of Just 7 Numbers with more instrumentation may have worked.

All in all, Changing Times is a great album, IMHO