A common view outside Diana's fandom is that the original Diana Mix is soooo much better than the actual record.

The subtext is probably "Diana Ross can only do wrong". By the way some in the fandom are on the same wavelength on a regular basis.

When the Chic MIX came out I hated it, but give it another try, again and again and now I'm more nuanced except that the hits are ruined on it. I mean "upside down, coming out, My old piano".

I'v found this very interesting opinion on a web site.

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.co...hic-in-the-80s

"Edwards and Rodgers’ original mix was finally released as part of Diana’s “Deluxe Edition” in 2003, and no wonder Motown balked: It’s a defiant left turn for both artist and producers, Ross sounding husky and defiant, the instrumental tracks heavy on solos, the whole thing weirdly aggressive. If anything, Motown’s official version – Diana’s singing metronomic, the arrangements streamlined – sounds more like classic Chic than the record Chic actually made, which sounded as if Bernard and Nile had elected not to release “Le Freak” but its original draft, “Ahh, Fuck Off!” "