Someone on YouTube commented on this song tonight and it got me to thinking about that title, "Send Me No Flowers." I can't recall if I ever read anything about this song or not, but years after I uploaded it, I've come to find an amazing tool that unlocks worlds of information on Motown music: the site "Don't Forget The Motor City." Now, with recording dates easily found, all in one place, it's easier to establish timelines of one sort or another. At first, I had the belief that HDH saw the title of the movie, thought it was cool and drafted a song of their own [[just because there was one song out already by that name, why waste a good title?)

But tonight, I realized HDH did their song before the film came out. So here's the speculation I have on this whole thing, as put on full display for everyone to see on YouTube [[it may have been foolish to go out on such a huge limb, but I don't think people read those descriptions anyway!):

"Did Holland-Dozier-Holland intend to write this song for the Doris Day film? Consider: HDH recorded this in May of 1964, the Doris Day single and film were released some five months later, in October of '64. Berry Gordy was a big fan of Day [[reportedly, before Motown, he had written a song for Doris, "You Are You.") It's entirely plausible that the trade papers had mentioned that a film was in the works for Doris as well as the intended title, "Send Me No Flowers." The title is just too on-the-money for all of this to have been sheer coincidence. Unfortunately, the song sat in the Motown vault, never to find a home until nearly two decades later on the Supremes' 25th Anniversary collection.

Listening to this easy-going slice of soulful pop, it's difficult to understand why this didn't find a slot on the "Where Did Our Love Go" album [[the song was recorded during the time frame of that album being compiled.) However, it's also interesting to note that even though this was recorded in May of '64, a month after "Where Did Our Love Go" [[recorded Apr-64), there is absolutely no relation between the two, "Send Me No Flowers" doesn't have the stamp of a follow-up/soundalike production. So it would seem this was not intended as a single."

So what are yall's [[My parents' Southern roots are showing) opinion on this? Or does someone know more about this song that I- I'd love to hear about it.