Quote Originally Posted by Ollie9 View Post
Perhaps that line was Diana having a dig at Mary lol.
Aside from financial negotiations as to who would be paid what, Mary was never going to be satisfied with just one solo. Then of course there was Cindy to consider.
Perhaps if Mary had signed the dotted line, Diana’s solo numbers would have been dropped and replaced with further Supremes songs. A medley of their early flops would have been fun.
Hard to imagine Mary kicking her heels backstage while Diana went solo.
I think songs from Diana's solo career at RTL was because this wasn't a traditional reunion tour. It was quite literally Diana Ross...and special guests, the Supremes. So a mix of cuts from her entire career makes sense. Had Mary and Cindy been on the tour, I find it unlikely, although not impossible, that the show would have been anything other than Supremes songs. I don't know about solos, but I would assume Mary would be given a couple of leads. Of course that would mean Diana would sing backup and I'm not sure how she would have handled the suggestion.

Mary: Okay Cindy, Diane, while I'm singing lead, y'all do the backup.

Diane: No. I don't do backup.

Mary: Oh come on Diane. It's just a few oohs and aahs.

Diane: I don't do oohs and aahs...unless it's "Baby Love" or "Aint No Mountain High Enough", both of which I sing lead on.

Mary: Fine. How about we do "Endless Love"? I'll do Lionel Richie's part."