Hey guys--I want to discuss something that just happened a couple of weeks ago in a Motown Facebook group. I want to hear what you guys think.

For whatever reason, some Motown fan brought up the Supremes album Touch for discussion. Now, it's no secret that most fans of the 70's ladies love this record [[the album, not the song). In the comment section, predictably, virtually every reaction was positive-going-on-glowing. No surprise there. There was, however, exactly ONE comment by a guy who said "I never warmed to this one" or words to that effect. I was intrigued to know why he didn't like it--but some female fan attacked him pretty viciously, as if he'd said the album was trash and garbage. I was a bit disturbed that one fan thought the first guy couldn't have a different opinion on Touch, so I told the female fan that he had every right to his viewpoint.

Now here's the worst part. An hour or two later, one of the admins posted that he would no longer allow "negativity" in that FB group so I assumed he meant he'd ban people who didn't post glowing reviews. Now how is that going to work? How do you discuss anything if you're not allowed to disagree? That strikes me as absolutely insane. I could see if the guy was really nasty and vicious, but all he said was he never warmed up to Touch. I wanted to ask him what he didn't like about it, but now I will never get the chance. Was he banned? I don't know, but it would be horrifying if he did.

Just because someone has a different take should not be taken as a threat. Am I so insecure that just because one guy didn't like Touch, that I couldn't like it, either? What is the point of having a discussion group if everyone agrees? I already said this on the Beyonce/Diana Ross thread--this kind of mentality needs to stop. This is a dark road we don't really want to drive down.

Thoughts?