to me, this whole story sort of smacks of the "Marvin Gaye will be producing Mary's first solo album" lots and lots and lots of "news" is dropped out into the public domain by publicists, PR men, artists, etc. much of it is simply to general immediate news activity - not any real claim of an upcoming project.

also other than any rumors in Jet or other magazines, isn't Mary just about the only real source of this. yes i know it's in Randy's book but is that just an interview with Mary? have others in the motown office or Cindy or Scherrie made any acknowledgement of this?

now lets say it was true. Suzanne and others were trying to repeat the Temps reunion. my guess is that they were already developing plans for Motown 25 the next year and one of the culminating moments of that show was to be the Supremes' reunion with DMC. while they knew that combo would never be able to tour and record, perhaps they figured the SMC would at least get some dates and sell some records. a flash in the pan and then done.

I do find Mary's logic about deciding not to do the tour because of what she had accomplished as a solo a bit odd. to be blunt, there was very little accomplished at this point. 1 mediocre album on motown, 4 very strong Gus tracks, and random touring around the world with her Supremes' show. i know she was still heavily shopping for a label but there was no interest. so wouldn't it have made financial sense to pursue this?