Last night I attended a performace of “Supreme Reflections: A Loving Tribute to the Music of Diana Ross and The Supremes.” Three young women sang the songs of Diana, Mary, Flo and Cindy while a man did some narration and, during costume changes, sang [[Marvin, Stevie and The Temptations). He also joined the group for “I’m Gonna Make Me Love You."
All of the ‘60s Supremes’ biggest hits were covered except for “Love Is Here...” In addition, several of Diana’s solo hits were sung.
At the outset, it was stated that the group was not trying to imitate the Supremes, and they didn’t. The lead singer sounded like Cindy Scott [[aka Sundray Tucker), Lynda Laurence’s sister. It was also stated that the show had the blessing of Mary Wilson.
The performance was enjoyable overall. What really gave it an edge were the original Funk Brothers backing tracks which were used for almost every song. The costumes were also copies of what the Supremes wore.
The group did a commendable job. At times the lead singer sounded a little shrill and the backup singers a little weak. They did better on the Supremes tunes vs. Diana’s solo hits, although they ended the show with rousing versions of “Upside Down” and “I’m Coming Out."