2022 is starting up nicely - been saturating myself with some good grown- folk soul music. I wanted to share and see what other new and good things people have been listening to at the start of the year. Four things I wanted to spotlight:

Lady Wray - "Piece of Me" - a real nice through back indie soul album. Nice understated production, distinctive soulful vocals - listen to this album straight through and then start it again. I've been spinning this on a loop consistently for the last two weeks.

LadyBlackbird -Black Acid Soul - is a real surprise. She is like the grandchild of Nina Simone/Tina Turner and distant cousin to Cassandra Wilson. This is a great late night album akin to the after hour albums that Nina put out early in her career but also really modern. This is one to put on when you want to chill, sip or toke something and be taken away by good music. This is her debut and she is a real special distinctive talent.

Cleo Sol - Mother - This came out in December and what a beautiful record by this on the rise UK soul artist. "Mother" is all about the feels here - mellow, contemplative, naked, ear-catching with production that underscores her fluttering, emotive vocals that at times call to mind Minnie Riperton. Produced by the UK's hottest producer Inflo - this is a modern classic in the making.

Reissue - Quincy Jones - $ [[LP only) - This is for the vinyl collector - a reissue of a Q soundtrack from the 1972 film with Goldie Hawn and Warren Beatty called "the Heist". I've never seen it but if the music is any indication, I a look for it. It's part of Rhino Records 2022 "Start your Ears Off Right" campaign which btw also has a great remastered vinyl reissue of Aretha's Sparkle which is also great). This soundtrack features guest vocals from Little Richard and Robert Flack on a couple of tracks and each give wonderful performances. Musically Q gives you everything you could want -his great arrangements, funky/jazzy and eccletic compositions - top shelf vocal touches. It's all dope. The 2021 remastering is incredible and the lp is really affordable [[about $21). If you still own & use a turntable - check this one out.

What have others come across? Do share - "pass the information,extend the knowledge"