Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
Okay Sup, let's not get carried away. Had Flo been noticeably drunk she either would've been dismissed- as she was- or Motown would've just had to do damage control. There would not have been any "Flo was drunk! We gotta end the Supremes" talk. As far as I can tell, the reviews for Flo's appearance with the group that last time were great, so how bad could she have been? That's not to shrug off the potential for fallout had things gotten worse, but it's not like Flo went on stage, snatched Diana's mic and then did her own show to the confusion of the audience, making her a liability had she been invited to attend the Farewell show.

Let's be real, the only real scandal that had the potential to end the Supremes is [[a) One of them ended up pregnant with no husband, [[b) one of them was outed as gay, [[c) possibly some type of racial or sexual scandal [[like Mary dating the married Tom Jones). This was the entertainment industry, Vegas no less, drunk stars was not uncommon. True, the Supremes had a certain image and being drunk certainly was not a part of it. But Motown could've spun a drunk Supreme in any number of ways. Lets be real, as far as any of us really know, Diana's "breakdown" in Boston the year before was the result of a bad drug trip, not mental and physical exhaustion, as was reported.
well that was sort of my point. we were fortunate it wasn't a situation like that. none of us know of course just how drunk Flo was that night. was she a little buzzed or slurring her speech drunk? she had also previous been too drunk to even go on stage with them in New Orleans.

the stories of that night are bad enough - she was off her mark, singing flat and exposed her stomach on the Fat routine line. My suggestions were extreme but meant to be examples of what could maybe have happened that was even worse.

I've not seen any reviews from that Flamingo run and i thought they typically reviewed opening night. flo was dismissed a few days into the run.

but what if her antics had been on opening night? and let's not exagerate what she did. let's just say the reviewers watched her that night - poor reviews of lacking of showmanship, off singing, poor timing, odd behavior would not have helped the group. Otis williams writes that the Temps debut in Vegas was very rough for almost the same reason - Paul was drunk on stage. and then the group didn't return to Vegas for years