There was a little local record label in my area back in the '60's I'm doing a blog on and I need some general information about record distribution. I'm dealing with a "garage band" label, but I figured you guys might be able to give me some general information.

1) Asuming it didn't have a distribution deal, would a label like USA [[Buckinghams), GM [[The Dorians) or Etiquette [[Sonics, Wailers) hope that local sales would create enough interest to lease or sell a recording to a major label OR get major distribution?

2) Did proximity to a major market play a hand in this? That is, would a "hit" on CKLW, with it's wide reach, spawn a hit in Cleveland, Chicago, etc.? Would a hit on a station with less coverage [[WKNR, for example) diminish this effect?

3) Would a medium market like Flint [[WTAC) be close enough to a major market like Detroit for a local label "hit" to break the major market?

Appreciate any help you can give me on how an "independent" label in the 60's distributed their product.