[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Diana'79 show

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Diana'79 show

DIANA ROSS
    Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo

The entrance was spectacular, the packaging was spotty and her famed songs of the 1960's with the Supremes were the main delight as Ross made Buffalo the fifth stop on her current tour April 13.
    More than 12.000 welcomed one of the features of Harvey & Corky's production season, but found themselves dazzled more by the performer than by all the glitter and five costume changes, which were less dazzling than promised.
    Ross overcame a laser light show that sputtered, 2 backdrop which needed a good cleaning and a monitor which threatened to blast listeners in the first 10 rows from their seats. Finally, Ross had the sound turned down—to noticeable sighs of relief. She entered to gasps. A film of her descending a long white staircase was projected on a rear screen while she sang “Ain't No Mountain High Enough.” Without missing a beat, the visual effect switched to Diana in person as she stepped through the screen and descended a real staircase in a stunning costume of silver sequins and white fur.

“How'd you like that opening—was it okay?” she kidded “I wanted it simple and intimate with polaroids and an old gown. They told me it would snow here.”

Diana, backed by a large orchestra, sang 22 selections in a 90-minute performance, but one of the best features came when she had the house lights go up and stepped into the audience for her “favorite part of the show “ She wound her microphone cord through those seated near the stage, sang “Reach Out And Touch” and found a few melodic Buffalo voices.
    “Listen to what you're saying,” she implored the swaying sing along audience “Reach out and touch somebody's hand—make this world a better place, if you can” She had virtually the entire audience swinging together, hands joined.
    When she began belting out her most recognizable hits —'"Baby Love.” “Stop in The Name Of Lave” and “I Hear A Symphony,” the big crowd reared in delight as screen projections Showed the original Supremes.
    There were eight choreographed dancers, including her brother. But they seemed more exuberant than effective And there were the Eddie Kendrick Singers, who were excellent in the backdrop. But the show belong to Diana and she had no difficulty wining the audience.
    After the‘60s review, she went into her routine from “Lady Sings The Blues” offering “Good Morning Heartache.” "Them There Eyes” and “My Man". Next came “The Wiz" with Diana singing “When I Think Of Home".
    Another minor costume change brought her back for “Mahogany” and extended applause. Closing with “I Believe in Fairy tales" and a lively dance number -"I Don't Want To Grow Older” - the star exited on the shoulders of her dancers to standing accolades. They were richly deserved. JIM BAKER - Billboard 5.5.1979
    I wonder what this "I Don't Want To Grow Older” could be ?
    Overall, I agree that the dancers were not very good, as it was noticed on another critic, and that the 78/79 costumes were not her best.

For this tour, it seems, she didn't close with "Mahogany/Mountain high enough"
    Last edited by Albator; 02-16-2020 at 04:26 AM.