Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
Yeah, but keep in mind, without any disrespect on them on their heyday of the sixties, keep in mind that now is decades later.

I remember a decade or so ago, I've been told there was a cruise that was slated to have the Marvelettes. To me, only some acts can maintain their soaring voices over a few decades later - such as Little Anthony and Eddie Holman. Smokey Robinson, yes, even him, while he's still got a voice of gold, I could tell that today's Smokey is not the Smokey of the late fifties-eighties. Same goes for Diana Ross, still continually glamorous, but not the same Diana of the sixties-nineties.

Nevertheless, I believe I've kinda envisioned the Marvelettes sound of the twenty-first century, kinda like the rustiness of Mary Wells of the eighties, but maybe that was not fair, knowing now that she had cancer by then. But I suppose, I could still check out some late eighties-early nineties Ian Levine to check what Marvelettes sounded by then. However, everyone ages, and so does their voice, decades and decades later. And I definitely don't think the Contours could do the splits like they used to back in their day.

I would still pay $20 to watch still-surviving original side members of "oldies" acts, maybe even up to $50 on the case of the official Temptations or Four Tops, well aware that the reason they still remain fresh and exciting, would be from finding vital and top class voices to keep their signature sound going.
Ngroove,why you in my head?! Some other examples: Keith Sweat [[still begging), Eddie LaVert [[same rustiness you mentioned, but flourishes there on last album and tour), K-Ci & JoJo [[I don't want to talk about it). Conversely, still going strong: "the Boss"[[Ms. Ross, not Bruce), Mary Wilson [[check out her tribute to her mother), the late Nancy Wilson, Peabo, Jeffrey O., Chaka Khan, The Rev. Al Green, and Aretha"Re-Re & Franklin.